Do you have a thumb sucker?

Our daughter is just 6 weeks old, but I swear she's going to be a thumb sucker. She already is putting her hands in her mouth and trying to suck on them. At first, I thought itw as because she was hungry...but she is doing it when she is tired. I have tried to take her hand out of her mouth and give her her pacifier...she may suck on it a minute and then it's back to her hand. Is it possible to get her not to start this habit? I sucked my thumb until I was in 2nd grade! My parents had a terrible time breaking me of it!

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 10:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine are addicted to pacifiers at 17 months and at 2.5 years.....my sisters sucked their thumbs when they were little....one of them still does it.....she is 19 years old....Good luck to you.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• all three of my kids suck their fingers. each one sucks a diff set. i was so hoping to avoid it w/ my youngest (ds 3 months old) but he's already started. my dd (5) is slowly starting to suck em less. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 10:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I sucked mine way longer, LOL.

Yeah, mine is a thumb sucker and while I thought it was endearing at first (after all I did it), I now wish it wasn't so hard to break the habit. He's 3 1/2, and I'm trying to stop it. I don't have any advice other than to keep doing what you are doing. I know if I have another baby, I'm pushing a pacifier (I didn't w/ my son).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• MINE IS ALMOST FIVE MONTHS OLD AN D SHE SUCKS HER THUMB ALL DAY..
    HER DAD SUCKED HIS TILL HE WAS 7-8 YRS OLD..
    I GIVE HER THE PACII BT SHELL JUST SPIT IT OUT AND PUT HER THUMB BACK IN SO I DONT REALLY KNOE WHt TO DO EITHER LOL.
    lOViNMOM2211

Answer by lOViNMOM2211 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• OH geez! That did not help! Our son is 3 1/2 and loved his paci..but we were able to break him at 16 months.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Fi is almost 7 months, she sucks her thumb when she is tired. She has never taken a pacifier.
    nangel5

Answer by nangel5 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My youngest daughter started sucking her thumb after I lost her pacifier. She sucked her thumb forever! She was well into her teens before that poor thumb ever got back into shape. I was so flat!!! We still tease her about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Since mine started teething, she's taken to chewing her thumb all the time. She'll give it a few suckles but then chews the life out of it. lol
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 4:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My oldest DS preferred a binky over his thumb. He was easy to break. He was sick one day and refused his binky so we never offered it again. I can't remember how old. I believe it was by 1 yr old. My middle DS preferred his index finger over a binky and stops sucking on it this yr and he is 6, and my newborn prefers a binky over his thumb. He has stuck his thumb a few times in his mouth and took it back out b/c he wants a binky. Its their comfort. They are going to suck it regardless if you want them to. Some kids are easier to break than others. GL BWIND.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 1:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010