So my sister is getting married...

My sister is getting married and she picked her best friend as maid of honor...me and my other sister are a little upset because we thought she was gonna follow the tradition of having 2 maid of honor...
Would you pick a friend over your own sister???

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 10:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• My sister actually just got married this past March. She had her best friend as Maid of Honor and me and my eldest sister were the bridesmaids. We were perfectly content with that, yes we are her sisters, but that is also her best friend. I believe the Maid of Honor should be the person who is helping you make the decisions on your big day, my sister's best friend helped her with EVERYTHING! I think you guys just need to support your sister, this is a huge comittment for her. She needs you all there by her side, labels aren't everything. Hope this helps.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 10:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• you have the right to have your feelings hurt but not the right to express them to her-it is HER wedding and she has the right to plan it whatever way she wishes without having to worry about what everyone else thinks she should be doing. At my wedding my sister was my maid of honor, at her wedding her best friend was hers-it didn't really bother me because she still included me as one of her bridesmaids. Be happy for you sister-the day is about her not who she picks as her maid of honor.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• nah me and my little sister are not gonna tell her anything..what sucks is that we just found out and she is doing her thing this FRIDAY away on her own...i guess she gets to do whatever i just think it is messed up...

iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I always thought the maid of honor was the Bride's best friend. Sometimes that is their sister and sometimes it is not. I am my best friends maid of honor and her sister isn't even a bridesmaid.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I picked my best friend for my maid of honor instead of my sister and so did my daughter. I always thought it was supposed to be the bride's best friend and in both of our cases that was not family.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would think that a relative would be the first choice over a friend. I can understand how this would bother you. Have you and your sister talked about the situation with her. If you decide to confront her just tell her you are "disappointed" rather than hurt. You don't want to cause an argument over it, that's the last thing you need.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Hey, sometimes your best friends were there for you more than your siblings. I'm much closer to my best friend than my sister. My sis was building on her life and I on mine. I'm sure I won't be a MOH at her wedding either but I'm not offended. I still love her. There's no rule that says your sister has to be you MOH.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 7:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No my sister would not be and was not my MOH. A friend was and if we ever have a "real" wedding she wouldnt be then either.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010