Is it wrong, to be friends with an ex if your in a relationship?

Do you personally think it is wrong 2 be friends with an ex boyfriend/girlfriend, if you are married? engaged? serious relationship? or even just dating???

If you were serious with the ex would it make a difference in whether you think it is right to be friends or not if you are with someone new??

Do you think it is right for one partner to be able to be freinds with the the past ex's, but they wont let you bc they are too jealous?

Just asking out of curiosity... lol, your opinions please!!

Baby_Kisses08

Asked by Baby_Kisses08 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Not in the least. In fact some people are better off as friends and not lovers.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on the type of person your x or your partners x are/were. There is only one x of my husband's that I do not approve of him ever having contact with. She is the type that tries to get anyone to sleep with her and has tried to get him to cheat in the past. Of course I trust my husband, but who needs to be around someone who doesn't respect your boundaries anyways? They can't really be that much of a friend to begin with. I also have a few x's of mine that I would never b friends with now...mostly bc they went nuts! lol. But some of them I don't see a problem with, so I think it just depends on who they are.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Me and my boyfriend avoid friendships with ex's.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 10:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Not at all. There had to be some reason the two of you got together in the first place, you must have had something in common. Just because it didn't work out on a relationship level, doesn't mean you don't still have those things in common. I'm friends with a number of my ex's... I'm even friends with some of my SOs exs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes, in my opinion it is not healthy for the current relationship. Also, we both have the same rules. If he can't then I can't.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on what you mean by friends. Having a conversation when you run into each other, being friends on FB, or talking for hours on the phone or over coffee are all different levels of friendship. Sometimes it depends on the two of you. Always I think your present SO's feelings need to be considered. My BF has one ex that I would never want him to be friends with because I know part of him will always love her and she is such a train wreck that I think she would use that to her advantage.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm best friends with my ex. DH has an issue with me being friends with him ONLY because he's my ex. However, the way I see it is he and I don't have feelings for one another, so why would it be an issue? We dated 9 years ago when we were both teens and the feelings ended when the relationship ended. So the only issue with it would be if he or I were still wanting to be with the other. Then I can fully understand it being wrong. Otherwise it's not wrong, it's friendship.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010