Do you get upset over Cs?

When your kid gets a C or two on their report card, do you flip or is it okay? Do you expect them to get all As and Bs? Or are you happy as long as you don't see any Ds or Fs?

circle_of_life

Asked by circle_of_life at 11:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• No less than a C I am ok but I do tell them to try harder.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would be upset if they had not tried the hardest possible. If they did all they could and got a C---Good! If it was out of laziness, then they would be grounded.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't know how I'd react. I'd definitely give them the "you need to try harder and do better" talk. But then again, it would be partially my fault because their grades for each assignment are on line and I can check them every day. My DD is having trouble in math and we have already met with the math teacher and will again soon to reassess the situation.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have two boys and both have different abilities, so my expectations are very different. I expect them both to do their best, and try their hardest.
    I do expect A's and high B's from my oldest son, I know he can get straight A's and he has. Last year he had one B. He carries a 3.9 gpa and is much to hard on himself about that B. He even went to the guidance counselor to find if there were online courses he could take for credits to raise the grade.
    My younger son has some learning difficulties, my expectation is no less than C. He has come home with a D on a progress report and I work with him to do better. He has also taken the initiative to ask for more help to raise that grade and in two weeks time it was C.
    I stress the importance of school, but my expectations stay within the appropriate level for each child.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on the child and what they are capable of. I have a daughter w/ an IQ of 138. When she was in school she would make A's on her tests but refused to do homework so her grade was always lower and I did punish her because it was laziness and arrogance. She didn't see any reason to do the homework.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• To me C's show where they need help. Would I get angry at my child - no.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My daughter got straight C's last year and I was thrilled that she was going to make it out of second grade...she is now on Ritalin and doing much better this year. If it is their best then you can't be upset.
    Yozhick

Answer by Yozhick at 11:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I expect As and Bs. However, I know my kids well enough and sit through homework enough that a C isn't a surprise when it happens, and I don't flip out.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It depends on the kid. C's are average. It means that they have an average understanding of a subject. Why is that bad?
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 11:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• C's are acceptable, as long as all her grades aren't C's.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010