My 2 1/2 year old has horrible dandruff. What can I do to make it better?

I have never seen it, but today I was playing with his hair and its like this big spot on the center of his scalp is peeling. Its bad. What can I do?

Amelia512

Asked by Amelia512 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It does sound like cradle cap to me too. My son has had it before (he also has eczema and sensitive skin in general). Using a fine tooth comb after bathtime can help. We also tried Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Care along with a comb, and it improved significantly with just one or two uses. It takes a couple shampoos to get it to feel less oily though. We found it at Target and a couple other local grocery stores, but some stores don't have it. I'm pretty sure amazon.com has it too.

Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Care

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It sounds like cradle cap or sebhorric dermatitis. Wash your baby's hair more frequently, and use a soft brush to brush the scales away. Some people swear by using baby oil or mineral oil (most baby oil is just mineral oil with a baby scent added), but others say it can worsen the condition by increasing the oil even more on the scalp. If you've been shampooing your baby's hair without noticing any decrease in the flaking, try using oil. If you don't like the idea of mineral oil, use a natural product such as olive oil. Rub it on your baby's head, use a soft brush to brush the flakes out with it, and then finish up with a gentle shampoo. In this way, you're using the oil to loosen the oily flakes and then washing it away so it doesn't add to the build-up.
    If you try the baby oil home remedy and the cradle cap still doesn't decrease, you can get a special medicated baby shampoo from your pediatrician.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 3:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• it is a older form of cradke cap, dandruff doeanst peel! And NEVER use oli, cradle ca is cused by too much oil, most think it is drying, but drying is dandruf and flakes off, cradle ap is oo much oil hat is why it sticks to the scalp, and "pels" off The best thing you can dois wash it daily with NO conitioner, and brush that area gently daily! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• These shampoos contain salicylic acid (the main ingredient in aspirin) and another well-known dandruff cure, sulfur. But they can irritate the baby's skin and dry the scalp, so use them carefully after consulting with your doctor. For strong cases of cradle cap or unusual amounts of spreading, the doctor may prescribe a cream made of hydrocortisone to treat the redness and rash.
    If your baby's skin gets red and itchy, it may be that a yeast infection has found a foothold on the irritated skin. This most often happens in places with creases—behind ears, around the face, under arms or in the folds of the neck. If you notice the rash has spread and your baby is acting uncomfortable, the pediatrician may prescribe an anti-fungal cream product to kill the yeast infection.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 3:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• head and shoulder?
    mizzliz87

Answer by mizzliz87 at 4:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thats what I told my DH. Neither of my boys have had cradle cap as infants, but my nieces all had it. Its not his whole head. Its right in the center like the size of my fist and it looks scaly. I didn't know if it was considered cradle cap at 2 1/2 tho. Thanks for the answers!
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was wondering if maybe it was some kind of soap build up? Because its never been there before yesterday, and he gets bathes most days, but sometimes I skip a night because reading time went a little longer than expected. The night before was one of those nights, and yesterday his head looked greasy. He sweats a lot while sleeping. So I figured thats what it was. But then I was playing with his hair and noticed it. Last night I used a comb to kind of scratch it up, and then washed it, then used the comb then rinsed. And its.. practically gone. Maybe its just soap build up after all, and not cradle cap.
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010