Little black ants on my counter. yuck

Seems like 2-3 times a year I have a pretty bad ant problem and htey are always on my kitchen counter. I try to keep it as clean as possible but it seems like one day there are no ants and then the next I am killing one after the other. how do I get rid of them?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we had that problem in Hawaii... the ants thought it was easier to go through the kitchen to get to the other side of the house. We used ant traps and the problem was resolved
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 12:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• they are sugar ant. They are a huge pain out here too! I use little traps.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• HATE them.  At my dad's house we always had an ant problem.  They were nesting in the blown in insulation in the walls and ceilings.  Big pain in the butt.

But we never had a problem using bug spray.  The stuff we used worked for 3 months.  We'd spray around the inside and outside of the kitchen and they'd be gone.

We just moved to our own house and the ants showed up a month after we got here and ticked me off.  We didn't have money for bug spray but I found Clorox spray works just as well, lol.  I was like a crazy person spraying Clorox everywhere but I got rid of the ants...for the time being.  Next summer we'll spray for bugs because we have a nasty spider problem too (big honkin' spiders! I HATE spiders more than ants).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My SIL uses a combination of a regular ant killer and yeast - apparently ants can't digest yeast and they blow up !!! They do take it back to their nest first and share, so that helps eliminate the problem faster too. I have heard the same thing, but using cornmeal instead of yeast - same thing happens. Borax is a good thing to use that is not toxic - spread it around the base of your cabinets and also the outside of the house.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• um little black ants follow sugar as i have found some to i just spary my counter or say clean it with clorox cleanup bleach and there not around much anymore...
    desires_place

Answer by desires_place at 11:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2010