My five month old just fell off the bed and hit the floor.

He seems to be ok but should I take him to the hospital just to make sure. I checked his eyes and they are not dialated and he even has smiled at me a couple times. But I am still worried what should I do?

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably fine, but it's always better to be safe. You can call your local ER and ask them for advice. Best wishes!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh Momma I know how scary that is. Been there done that!

Watch his eyes like you said. Also excessive crying or listlessness are also things to watch for. As long as he is happy and didn't pass out then just give him a hug and relax.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• im sure you okay! relax! my son fell off the bed, and out of the high chair too many times! but he alive and well. just watch him and make sure he is okay, but im sure he will be.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• First of all BREATH! It happens to the best of us. Im sure hes fine... if he is sleeping a lot, vomiting, or any kind of drainage clear or bloody from nose,ears or mouth... Then take him in ASAP. But if hes smiling and everything I'm sure he will be just fine! Most moms have ahad a little accident like that. Dont be too hard on yourself. Have a nice night.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• What sleepingbeautee said. If there is anything wrong, you will definitely see him acting abnormally.

You would be surprised how tough babies really are. We treat them like they're so fragile, and we're wise to protect their necks and all, but in reality, if you think about what they went through just coming through the birth canal--THAT'S TOUGH! They're made to endure a lot, even more than some of us adults could handle. Good luck, mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thank ya'll I feel alot better now he seems to be doing fine he just fell asleep and I have been watching him to make sure he is breathing. My nerves were racked.
    jessesmama22

Comment by jessesmama22 (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The rule is if the fall is taller than the child, take them to the hospital. That's what my pedi told me at least. If he's sleeping, wake him up every 45 minutes for a couple hours. And I'm not talking make sure hes breathing. See his eyes open and make him cry then put him back down. Sleeping after a fall can be a bad thing
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 1:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My 19 month old fell off this morning and hit his head on the nightstand... it wasn't the first time and won't be the last! They're resilient, don't worry unless he's got obvious symptoms of trauma.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ahh I've been there and done that too - I was in hysterics. I called the dr and she said he's probably fine but just keep a close eye on him. Check for his mood or attitude to change opposite. And don't let him fall asleep just yet, keep them up and interract with him to make sure he recognizes you. And every 3 hours while sleeping she said to wake him up and make sure he can recognize and laugh/smile etc.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010