My 18 year old daughter is pregnant. She plans to keep the baby and I'm glad. I'm dealing with my own emotions, anger and disappointment but will be there for her. How do I prepare her to become a mom so she knows what is ahead of her now?

fairwaymom

Asked by fairwaymom at 12:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I got pregnant at 19 and my Mom was in shock and fear. She was very nervous but knew me as a strong woman and just answered all and any questions I had. She was there for all my big moments. My Dad passed away 2 months before I had my son and she moved down here. After it was all said and done she was happy and proud. Then, I got pregnant AGAIN. 2nd time around she was there but she asked me to if I'd thought about adoption. Broke my heart. Basicly, she gave me the truth with both pregnancies. She really pushed for me to strive to provide for my boys. I now have a clothing company getting off the ground, house, car, college degree and I am still with my fiance (boys dad). Due to her giving me all the information and direction she could. She was really in my face but it paid off. :)
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 12:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Share some things you went through when you were pregnant the first time. The good things. No matter how big or small. She's going to need some encouragement through this. This should be a great bonding experience for the both of you. My mom tried to get me to go through with an abortion with my first child. She's now 22. Your daughter is very fortunate to have you for a mom.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Answer her questions in the best way you know how, and try not to let YOUR opinions get in the way of the facts. Let her know that you will support her decisions regardless of your personal opinions (ex: if you're anti-formula and she decides to formula-feed, love her anyway). Kindly remind her of all the yucky stuff that comes along with pregnancy, labor, and motherhood - prepare her but don't scare her. Tell her the things you wish people had told you. Be supportive. Offer love and hugs.

You sound like a wonderful, supportive mother. I don't think she'll have any trouble following your example.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You keep being her mother.

We learn how to mother by example, not by instruction. Remember when you first told your mom you were becoming a mom? Rememberthe unsolicited advice and nagging? Remember the time you had the "oh, I get it ah-ha" moment and did something you saw your mother do?

We all have to learn how to mother through trial and error. You keep showing your unconditional love for her and it will reflect in your baby.

Congratulations on being a grandma!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• be there for her and baby and remind her about completing her education , it's not the end of the world, she'll be just fine,keep being a good mom omg she is blessed with the both of you ..good luck
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 12:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• be there for her. good luck
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Always tell her what she NEEDS to hear not what she WANTS to hear. Keep things honest and open with her. Remain supportive, but let her know her and the babies best interest is at heart.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Just be there.....take her maternity clothing shopping, baby shopping, and do all the grandma stuff....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wasn't that young but my mom bought me WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOUR EXPECTING. It was nice.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have the What to Expect When Expecting book and also bought the What To Expect In The First Year book and they helped me alot. My mom also taught me how to swaddle, feed, change diapers, and how to clothe newborns and I am sure that will help alot.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 9:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010