If you had the choice to send your child to a school that taught a second language, immersion style, would you?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in

• Yes. Fluency in another language is an opening to another culture and way of life.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Planning to. DS is only 3 months old, but we're raising him bilingual Spanish/English. We plan on sending him to one of the numerous (and growing) Chinese immersion programs here in Utah. Currently, I am a Spanish teacher at a charter school that also teaches Mandarin Chinese and Arabic. While not an immersion program, we try to create an immersion atmosphere in our classrooms for the half hour a day that we see the kids. It's amazing how fast they learn! It's a wonderful opportunity for children - the more languages they learn, not only the "smarter" do they get, but the more open minded and able to become world class citizens. Hatred and bigotry go out the window when you can understand, and empathize and communicate with another group of people.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 8:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No. I think most adults today don't even have a decent grasp on the English language! I would much rather my kids learn correct grammar, spelling, and fluency of their native tongue. Considering that it is generally considered to be the "worldwide language" I think it's much better for them to spend their time on English before they even consider learning a foreign language.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No, but that kind of school is not something I would send my child to anyway. Learning another language in school is one thing but I don't agree with immersion programs. I do agree that English isn't even that well taught or comprehended anymore. That needs to be remedied first.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Definitely
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Interesting, Yes, I think I would.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes. We are also teaching sign language at home. I think it is great. We want him to be more cultured anyways. We are planning to go to Europe with him in about 3 years.

Anonymous

• Sorry I did not mean to answer Anon. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I definatley would. Being fluent in more than one language is an advantage in many careers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yes. Having fluency ESPECIALLY literacy in more than one language is a HUGE advantage later on in life. AND... knowing more than one language increases your fluency/lang. skills in ALL languages.
    To say no, just perfect this first... is counterproductive and not taking advantage of a child's growing mind and the BEST time to create extra pathways etc. for language.
    Outside of a learning disability... the more languages the better.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010