For those of you that live in an apartment.......

I learned that an apartment complex in town is requiring parents to be with their children at all times. The ages are 18 and under. If the kids are out by themselves, the parents will be charged a $100 time for each time the kids are out playing without the parents. Okay, I can understand all the kids in elementary school and younger, but how would that make your older kids feel? I think that at a certain age that kids can be playing without the parents around (or even socializing). What do you think?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My apartment does the same thing but the fine is only $50. The problem was when some kids that were too young to be with out parents where outside everyday all alone. I think that they should make a age limit of 13. The ones older than 7 are doing dangerous things still. They are climbing the fences and it is extremely dangerous and when me and DH are outside we have to be their parents. It is tiring being my kids parents and being someone else's kids parents to. The age limit of 18 is to much. Sometimes teenagers need to be able to go outside but not leave the complex.
    (some teens are smoking weed in the complex and asking for cigs) This may also be why.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 2:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yeah it is pretty weird. But in my apartment complex, it's the older kids who vandalize, and other things like that. Maybe they're just trying to keep stuff like that from happening? It seems a little TOO much though with the fine and all though.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think that is weird. Some teens can handle themselves fine. Having a fee for letting them be by themselves is just odd. In my opinion. :)
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 1:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sounds like they had reasons to crack down and become strict but it is legal? That is what I have to wonder....
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sounds like I would be finding somewhere else to live.  My kids are 10, 9, 8 and 4 and play outside all day by themselves.  They would be beyond ticked if suddenly they weren't allowed to be outside and I don't have time or the want to sit outside all day long to watch them when they are perfectly capable of playing on their own.

And they wonder why kids are so "fat" now a days.  They only get to go outside when mom or dad have the time to sit out there.  Luckily we live in a very free-range neighborhood (in a house).  All the kids in the neighborhood run around outside all day long without parents.  It's great.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010