For the expecting mothers...

What items have you heard of that are necessary for a newborn and what can you pass up? Just curious. :)

fluppyducky

Asked by fluppyducky at 1:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm expecting number three, and NOTHING is a necessity. We wasted our money on bouncy seats and swings and baby beds with the first two, and never used 90% of the stuff... We aren't doing any of that this time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i heard a changing table is a must but i think that's luxury .
    jeniferaldamuy

Answer by jeniferaldamuy at 1:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Necessities: car seat, a place to sleep, diapers, wipes, head to toe wash, lotion, a&d for rashes, a few recieving blankets, a few warmer blankets, enough sleepers, outfits and socks for a week, sling or carrier, thermometer, washcloths, burp cloths, feeding supplies (bottles and formula if formula feeding, nursing bras and lanolin and breast pads if breast feeding)

Skip it: wipe warmer, sleep positioner (unless your baby has reflux), mobiles and other crib toys
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I am having #3 with my 1st two 18 & 16 years ago and bought many things that they used and some not so much and this time was able to buy things a lot better. I bought a lot of items that the baby may or may not like or even use a lot but I know from experience that every baby will be different and some will like nothing but being held or some will enjoy all the different baby items. Whatever I don't use now will be used for the next baby or I will just sell or donate. It really is all up to you what you want to try or can afford. I bought the swing, bouncer, co-sleeper, playpen, crib w/crib bedding set, changing table, stroller w/car seat. one extra car seat, high chair, boppy pillows, nursing pillow and will buy a rocking glider chair for nursing soon as well. I used these items a lot with my 1st two and hope this baby will like them too. Like I said every baby will be different and you can't just know what they will like.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It really depends on the baby. Some babies love swing some don't. Just get what you think you will use. To save money try consignment shops or thrift stores. Mainly baby needs a loving home. Make a list of priorities if you are on a budget and work on getting those. I have borrowed items from friends and family and let other borrow my baby items till I need them again. That are many ways to get what you would like to have for your baby without spending too much. Sorry, I am tired and pregnant and on a rant :)
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 3:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree with KaraMia, if you are on a budget thrift store, yard sales and hand me downs are the way to go!!!! This is baby number 4 for us, and just before I found out I was pregnant I had gotten rid of everything....I was convinced by the time we had another the clothes and baby items would be out of fashion....so like never..haha!!!! I have seriously spent less than 100 bucks and that includes everything I needed and wanted. Crib w/ like new mattress- 20 bucks, pack-n-play 10 bucks, changing table- 5 bucks. I have also purchased enough clothes for 0-3 and 3-6 and have come no where near 20 dollars on her yet!! and that includes all the crib bedding that I will need. (crib bumpers are a waste of time and pose risks....so just get some cute sheets, a dust ruffle, and save your money their) I have also been given a carseat to borrow, more than what I will need in clothing, a swing and some other odds and ends.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• other things to pass up.....infant carrier type carseat...convertibles last a lot longer. a potty chair for training later....they are gross to clean out anyway. name brand diapers after size one...nothing beats swaddlers for the first month or so...after that parents choice are definately well worth it and half the price!! If breastfeed one of those retarded covers....blankets get the job done and in my opinion work better. If bottle feeding, definately spend the three bucks on one of those cheap formula dispensers, and skip the sterilizers...a good wash with hot water and rinse in boiling water will work fine. A swing, bouncer, or other place to put baby is nice for your own sanity!!!! but not neccasary. In my case each child had their own opinion of where they like to be....so the cheaper you get it the better off you will be. In my own experience if they are swing babies splurge on one that plugs in!!! batteries die!!
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2010