Whooping cough!?

My 17mo old daughter just got over a middle ear infection and pharyngitis. She had to be on antibiotics for 10 days.. the day after she was off of them she came down with a cold. Soon after a cough. A quite chesty cough, which made me worry it was bronchitis. After she coughs for a few minutes she is gagging, then GASPS for air. I took her to the peditrition today. He said "its whooping cough". He didnt hear her cough, he made a whooping noise and ask if it sounded like that..I said no, not at all.

He looked at her charts then condemingly looked back and said "She only has had one DTaP shot, YOU BETTER HOPE IT ISNT WHOOPING COUGH!!"
I replied "excuse me? shes had 3! check your chart!"
...he checks... "oh.. alright, she has had 3" he said much calmer

He put her on antibiotics again anyways.. Idk what to do. I dont think its whooping cough. We get results back tomorrow morning X_X

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 1:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Health

• It is soooo important that you feel comfortable with, and trust in, your babies' doctor. Sack this jerk and find someone you can have a mutually respectful conversation with.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would first of all look into maybe finding another doctor and second i would really have a talk with this doctor and voice your concerns and if you get no where with the talk i would have her moved to someone else. Trust me i moved my DD from her first doctor to the one she has know and if was one of the best decisions i have ever made, I unfortunately have the doctor still but that will not be for much longer.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i was lucky none of mine has had it, but it's always better safe then sorry . in the mean time you may think about checking into a new ped for your baby (imho)
    pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 1:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• go to the hospital have other doctor check her out ,my daughter had a cold the doctor on call for our family doctor had gone fishing so he sad her take this ,instead i took to the hospital and i put here in she had whooping cough,if i did talk to other doctor my daughter would be bad shape ,oh yeh when my doctor came back from his fishing trip he told my daughter was sick little girl yeh that right i told so glad that i put her in the hospital no thanks to the doctor you have on call
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2010