Is it normal if younger child excels quicker than older???

Our DD's are a year and half apart and our youngest seems to pick-up and excel quicker than the oldest... is this normal? I'm talking about the youngest counts to ten no problems and the oldest has a hard time getting to five... it took the oldest a year to become fully potty trained and the youngest only two weeks... ages are; the oldest is 2 months over 4 y/o and the youngest 3 months shy of 3 y/o...

watersgirls

Asked by watersgirls at 1:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know I'm expecting a lot from this question and maybe even my expectations of the girls... please no negativity...
    watersgirls

Comment by watersgirls (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When my son was in fourth grade, his sister was in kindergarten. I remember how upset he used to get because we would sit there and go over his spelling words at the breakfast table, and she would beat him to it every time. She has a great memory, much better than his! Rather than discourage her, I made another list for her, and told her that if she would let him answer for his words, then he would let her answer for her words. Problem solved. Positive reinforcement, rather than negative for both of them.
    .
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It sounds to me that you may want to talk to your older DD doctor and just let him know what is going on and with both of the girls. Your older DD may just be no catching on as quickly as your younger one. If i was you i would want the doctor to have a look at things just to be on the safe side. Momma also remember EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My first grader is more advanced than my second grader. The younger one is night time trained, the older one has never gone more than 2 nights without an accident. The younger one can read better and do the older ones spelling words. It happens sometimes.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My almost 20 month old daughter is MUCH more advanced than my now 3 year old son was at that age. I think the second has much more advantage seeing the older sibling. My kids are 19 months apart. My son also has some developmental delays, he goes to speech therapy pre-school. If you're really concerned about your older one, then perhaps you should check with the Pediatrician. Only you know what is best for your children.

Hope this helps a bit.

www.ErikaCarrillo.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think this is very common! In fact me and my BF were discussing how her son, who is kindergarten, has an easier time learning the things her daughter, who is in 3rd grade, needs to learn. I think it's b/c they learn from watching the older sibling and of course are always more interested in what the older sibling is doing then what they are doing. The older ones are kind-of on their own with only mom and dad to mimic. I think she is normal but if she is not meeting the expected goals for her age I wld talk to her pedi about it.
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 3:11 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My 2nd daughter has always been so much smarter and mature then her older sister, who is 4 yrs older
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sometimes.  I have 5 kids and my 2nd was always trying to keep up with the oldest.  They are 15 months apart.  The oldest was real slow and lazy in learning new things (not in a bad way, just had a leisurely pace).  My son wanted to do everything she did so he was talking at 6 months, walking at 10 months...it was crazy.

Then there's my 4yo (the 4th).  The other kids were 3, 4 and 5 when she was born and boy did she excel at everything to be able to keep up with them.  She won't be 5 until April, isn't in school but is far ahead of where my other 3 were when they started kindergarten.  Sometimes I forget she's only 4.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• and then sometimes it backfires.

My 3rd child ended up having a speech delay partly because she had an older brother and sister (they were 28 months and 13 months when she was born) who always talked for her.  She didn't say her first word until 16 months, only knew 2 words at 18 months and didn't start speaking in short sentences until she was almost 3.  She'll be 8 in a couple weeks and has caught up but I still have to tell the older kids to stop talking for her.  she mumbles a lot because she's insecure about the way she talks.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Younger children naturally do things quicker for the most part, as they have the older ones to keep up with. To enteract with etc. My 3rd walked at 10 months...wanting to keep up with brother and sister.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2010