Any suggestions on how to get rid of stretch marks? I've heard that cocoa butter does not work.

claudiaj1218

Asked by claudiaj1218 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have heard great things about bio oil
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 3:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Stretch marks are a form of scarring on the skin. They are caused by tearing of the dermis, and over time can diminish but will not disappear completely. There are some treatment options for stretch marks, none of which work very well. The degree of success with any treatment will be impacted by your age, your skin tone, genetics and even your diet. Prescription Methods like Tretinoin or Trilastin cream or laser therapy can be used to address unwanted stretch marks and no topical treatments will make them go away. Bio Oil and Mederma give the best results for over the counter but do take months to see any or very little results. Sunless tanning products can also help mask stretch marks. For newer reddish colored stretch marks, the pulse dye laser heats up the affected area and causes blood vessel walls to collapse near the surface. This significantly reduces the color of the stretch marks but doesn't get rid of them.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• For older, white stretch marks, eximer laser treatments work great to increase pigment production in the stretch marks. After a series of treatments, your stretch marks become the color of the rest of your skin.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was taking vitamin e oil capsules for a short time and I noticed that my stretch marks had gotten a bit lighter and I wasn't taking it for that reason. It was a nice suprise to see that they lightened up without me trying to do that. I also heard that you can apply the oil right on your skin and that will help to lighten the stretch marks even faster, but I haven't tried in on my skin yet. If you do decide to take vitamin e oil only take the recommended dosage because I heard that if you take more than what is needed, it can make you sick. I used to listen to Joyce Meyer and she said that a friend of hers took way too much vitamin e and it made her sick so just do you research. Good luck.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You can't.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• you can put on lotion to help your skin not be so dry and it will help but stretch marks have a lot to do with how much elasticity is in your skin as well.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010