What is the best age for a child to have a pet?

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 3:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the type of pet. I'd start at age 2 with a fish. Easy to replace too ;-
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When they're old enough to take care of themselves.... until they can, how can they take care of another life?
    Pets shouldn't be brought 'replacable'.....

Pets are a family responsibility. I won't give my child the responsility of a life before they can care for their own. Are they going to know when it's ill? when it's upset, when it's hungry?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Honestly, until they are old enough and mature enough to contribute to the care of the animal it will be the parents' responsibility. Our girls have cats...they are 2 and almost 5 ( in 2 weeks). However, I clean the litter boxes and fill up their waterer...my oldest is now old enough to feed them. I do the majority of the care for them.
    I have worked with animals most of my life in a professional capacity and I've always hesitated when it came to giving animals to children as they really aren't mature enough to care for them properly...it does help in teaching responsibility though. Pets are not disposable and should never be treated as such. ( not even fish, reptiles or small animals- which is what most people think of as "disposable or easily replaced" pets)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 6:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When they are mature enough to help care for them
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• since birth my kids have alays had or 3 dogs and cat!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i feel from birth .. studies say if a child grows up with animals they are less likely to grow up violent.. i love dogs
    kimmi85035

Answer by kimmi85035 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2010