Is it hard to get puppies used to a new baby?

We have 2 cockapoo puppies who are so loving but will they get used to the new baby?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 3:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I would Google that one. Different breeds act differently. Regardless of how gentle the dogs may be you must NEVER leave baby alone with them and never leave the dogs access to baby's room at night.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• keep all Pets away from a baby. Even if the Pet is harmless. The insects  on the Pet may be deadly.

Glo402

Answer by Glo402 at 5:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You need to introduce them asap .

let the dog smell the baby and be around it but not necesarrily touching .. My dog is a very big sook for me and she does get jealous.. you should not shoo her or tell her off for coming near.. this teaches the dog that the baby is better then the dog and the dog may retaliate out of jealousy.. you need to of course show the dog that they have to be careful too but dont always diss the dog because the baby is there.. make sure you still provide the dog attention and dont ignore him.. if he feels he is inferior he will attack the baby..

Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 7:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I brought both of my babies home to 4 dogs. I never had an issue. When we brought the babies home we held them and let the dogs sniff them, and to be honest that was it. The dogs never reacted to the new family member. The only time I had to be careful was when the kids started moving around and would go over and climb on the dogs. Once the kids learn not to crawl ON the dogs I have not had to give the situation a second thought. You have to see how your dogs are going to react, all dogs a different so it is hard to say what they will do. Do you know anyone with an infant? Maybe you could have them come over so the dogs can see, hear and smell all that goes with a baby. That way you would have an idea on how they will react and you can be prepared ahead of time.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think puppies are way more adaptable and accepting of new things than grown dogs are, personally. Just watch them really really close to be sure they dont get too rough around the baby!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 11:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2010