Enough Formula?

How many ounces should an 8 month old be drinking each day? My DS drinks 26 to 28oz a.day. I feel like he doesn't drink enough. He only drinks 6oz at one feeding. He is 20lbs.

Is this pretty average for his age?

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 4:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's plenty. Babies cut back on milk also once solids are introduced
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-how-much-formula-your-baby-needs_9136.bc?page=2
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 4:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• 2 bottles or 3 sounds about right :)
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That sounds about right to me.  When my older kids were that age they were usually drinking 6-8oz bottles...usually 4 a day.  By 10 months they were down to 3 bottles a day and eating mostly solids.  By 11 months down to 2 a day and down to 1 bottle a day by the time they turned 1 which made it easy to just take it away when the formula was gone.

We'll see if that works with our 5th baby (he's 3 months old now).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We started cutting the bottles back on my son at that age (he's 9 months now), and introducing A LOT more foods to him. He would have a 6oz bottle waking up, then his next meal would be foods, then after that he'd have another 6 oz bottle, then the next two meals would be food, then a bottle before bed. He's only on 18-21ozs of formula a day now and the dr says it's perfect. Is he eating more food yet? If not, he should. And if you think he's not getting enough to eat, give him a bottle, and then about an hour later give him food or a jar of food as a filler.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think that is plenty.I agree when they eat solids their milk intake will cut back, my LO is 51/2 months and she was drinking 6oz of formula w 3tsp. oatmeal cereal in the bottle but now that we do solids she only drinks 4oz. formula with 2oz. oatmeal cereal in the bottle.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 11:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010