she won't stop licking her crotch!

My 10 month old shih tzu has been licking her crotch constantly lately. Is it possible for a dog to get a yeast infection? What else could be causing this? I wasn't sure if it was grounds to take her to the vet or not.

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 11:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pets

• Is she spayed? If not she could be in heat. That would be my first guess. The other thought is more of a anxiety one. WE used to have a wonderful dog who would lick the top of his front paw until it bled. We had to put him on some prozac
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yesss, dogs can get bad yeast infections. Our cocker spaniel had one many times. It's easily treated with antibiotics. It would probably be best to call your vet and ask what they think. You'll be able to describe what's happening and they'll probably be able to tell you what's wrong. If not, you'll be able to go in and have her checked out.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• can you just call the Vet to see what they suggeast without bringing her in
    Debalexxa

Answer by Debalexxa at 11:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Those dogs are usually groomed, and they should pop the anal gland . It's in that area and it coulpd be needing to be  relieved . It  has a terriable smell when it's popped but you can do this yourseslf. But most time if your not ready for this issue, take her to the vet and have them ck it out. Or to the groomers.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• If there is nothing Medically wrong with your dog and they just like to lick get a squirt bottle and every time they start licking squirt em! My cat loves to groom, I feel that she has all day to do it no reason to do it at 3 am and keep me awake. Squirt bottle!!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my dog does this and the vet said she does it to get her self off when she does it she goes around the floor in a circle and makes a lot of noise
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• There are a few factors to consider. Has she been spayed? If not she could be in heat, which can be irritating because of the changes to anatomy and increased hormones. Is she licking her rectum or vulva? Rectum could be anal gland related. Impacted or full anal glands can be a problem, but anal glands that have been recently emptied can be irritated as well. If she is licking her vulva it could be that she has a UTI and the infection has led to irriation that has caused her to lick. Sometimes this excessive licking can lead to a staph and/or yeast infection in the area. A vet is going to want to see her to rule out a medical problem. Behavior should be addressed after ruling out a medical condition.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 12:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2008