Is there something to do for the gas?

Baby has a lot of gas after breastfeeding. Crys because it hurts. Anything we can do to help stop/ get through it without the pain?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mylicon drops.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Usually it's bcause the baby doesn't latch properly, sucking in air at the sides of the mouth. Try and prevent rather than cure
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 6:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• could latching problems but it may also be your diet. I found diet coke was really bad for my DD . it was the aspartame and the caffeine.. once i stopped drinking diet coke it got better.

you may like to try gripe water.. ( not sure if in the US) its a horrible taste but its natural and you can get it from a chemist and its ok for children very young.

otherwise I would think change your latching technique and change your diet.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 6:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Maybe Mothers milk is not right for the Baby. A change of formula may be the answer. Ask your Doctor. What is more important Brest Feeding or a happy , Healthy Baby?
    Glo402

Answer by Glo402 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I alwasy liked the little tummies gas drops better than mylicon. they tastes yummy and I would always tell them it was their "dessert" aww!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would also try burping beyond what you would think would be necessary. I've found that my baby burps quite a bit after breastfeeding and if I get it all out then she's not as gassy later. Try several different burping positions; baby sitting sideways on your knee, one of your hands supporting chest and the other burping up and down her back; baby laying face down on your knee while you're sitting and patting her back; the conventional burp over the shoulder... you may get some spit up but if it gets the air out then all for the better. I burp her for a few minutes even after she lets a few out just to make sure that it's all gone. Hope your DD feels better! Simethicone (Mylicon) works wonders, too.
    orangewedge

Answer by orangewedge at 7:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Hyland's has great safe & natural medicine's to help babies.. I have used their products on my granddaughter and they worked great...they do have a product for gas for babies...( Hyland's ..A homeopathic combination or the temporary relief of symptoms of gas pains caused by irritating food, feeding to quickly, swallowing air ..etc.)
    Lexiloosnana

Answer by Lexiloosnana at 7:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yeah we used gas drops also
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Gripe Water works WONDERS!!! I tried Mylicon and it didn't do anything, Hyland's has belladonna in it which isn't good for babies. There are also a few things - 1) your diet. Sometimes the things you don't even think twice about could give her gas - orange juice, tomato sauce, etc. 2) the position. Do you nurse him/her laying down flat? Prop them up on an angle and be sure to burp after feedings (and in between nipple switches).
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sometimes it just takes them a little while to adjust to digestion... or sometimes it can be something in your diet or a poor latch. It sounds like lower GI gas, though, which points to something in your diet for me. I would cut out gassy foods... dark leafy greens, broccoli, onions, dairy... start with those and see if there's an improvement. You can also give baby some pro-biotics to help aid in digestion. A friend of mine had a very gassy baby and it got better with these two (diet change and pro-biotics).

Switching to formula is the LAST thing you'd want to do if you have a gassy baby. Formula is notoriously hard to digest and gas-inducing. Glo402 is just plain crazy!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010