How do you stop your toddler from banning his head all the time?

18 month old banging his head , for no reason most of the time, also when you tell him NO. Now he is banning his head in the crib . Please Help .......

voostwegel

Asked by voostwegel at 11:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that for a time and I finally just ignored him, I think he wanted the attention I gave him when he did it so when he bang his head I didn't say anything and after about 2 or 3 days he didn't do it anymore. I am sure someone will say that I was wrong but it worked.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 11:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My dd does that when she has a fit. She's got apermanent bruise on her forehead. I just ignore her and try not to laugh too much.
    Anonymous

• My son's doctor suggested holding his hands after he hit himself or banged his head on something, looking him in the eye and telling him that 'it's not okay to hurt yourself. If you are mad or frustrated it's okay but it's not okay to hurt yourself.

I thought he was nuts...especially since he did it to me while explaining it. But I started doing it and it has worked!
    lildevil_mama

Answer by lildevil_mama at 12:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Have you tried redirection? Rather than telling your son "NO", have you tried directing his attention to something else. I know that it probably easier said than done but it may be worth trying.
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 2:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I honestly think this is a phase some of them go through. My son would do it; sometimes so hard it would scare me... I worried too, thinking something was majorly wrong with him. He even did it when he was angry at me, which also worried me. I too told him no the first few times, but I felt that maybe if i did that he would do it even more. Eventually he stopped doing it on his own Thank God!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 2:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son does not bang his head, but he rocks...my ped said to completely ignore the behavior. Even telling him no gives him more attention to do it. Hopefully he will outgrow it, thats what I hope with my son...I think if they are still doing it at age 3 they may need intervention.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 2:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2008