Do Doctor's get

referral fees from specialists?
I went into my Drs. for my physical yesterday. I need a colonoscopy and an opthamalogest test. My Dr. said that his assistant would make the appointment for me.
I said I would prefer to do that because I know my schedule. He said she would make it and I could change it if it was not a good time.
Now, it could be he just wants to make sure it is done or he is getting a kickback for doing it.
Does anyone know.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 7:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Health

• Yes and No. Nobody will admit it, but yes doctors do get incentives to refer to specialists that are not legal nor are they talked about and each PCP has a different reason as to why they refer to who and how often. Specialists will most often only take a patient when a PCP says they need one, it reduces cost time and paperwork. It also ensures effficiency in the diagnostics and treatment plans, often patients have no idea why they are being referred. And then there are the docs who are friends and they take care of each other and protect each other by way of income with patient load. Finally there are the ones who have side businesses and side interests that are not traceable that is used for incentives. Vacation home usage, yacht usage, private planes, investor knowledge and business IPO's and deals. And then there is the Ins. regulations to consider. If you suspect something, ask and ask early and often. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't know about a kick back... but when it come to getting an appointment for my Daughter (who is medically fragile) it is much better for us to let her primary do the initial appointment setting. Not only do they get earlier appointments than I can, they can transfer information that is needed before the first appointment much easier than I can. Plus some insurance companies require specialist to be direct referrals from a primary. I guess it cuts down on people self diagnosing problems. Specialist are much more expensive than primary doctors.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• http://www.mamapedia.com/article/why-do-i-need-a-referral

According to this, it's to save your insurance company money.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• **not legal, should read not ethical. sorry bout that.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2010