My son's family has

an English Bull Mastiff.
When you go into his house it smells so dog.
I want to help them get rid of the odor.
Anyone have any suggestions.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 7:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I didn't realize how bad my dog smelled until I moved into my new house. She is10 years old and has had a mild yeast infection of her ears and skin for the past 2 years and her bedding just smells "doggie", not foul. I now keep her bathed and wash her bedding every couple of days. I was really upset that my mother kept picking on the fact that my house smelled so much like dog when I didn't think it did - when you are in it all the time, you really get to the point of not smelling it !! It's going to be tough to bring it up without offending them though - I would tred lightly there !!! GL
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Have they asked you for help with the odor? If not I wouldn't go there.

If they have asked then they might try febreeze and/or cleaning where the dog sleeps. I like some of the new plug in air fresheners. Does the dog have an odor? They can take it to the groomer and get the anal glands expressed, a good bath and the nails trimmed.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i'm sure its the anal glands needing squeezed...he is probably sitting on furniture or rubbing off on the carpets and the odor is probably the most fowl smelling odor i have ever smelled. My MIL has 2 beagles that are #1 in the stink factor..they have to be squeezed monthly. Once one of the dogs was on my lap and leaked on me and i honestly could not get the smell out of my jeans.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• its the ammonia n the urin that does it .. try bleach on hard floors and get a carpet cleaner on carpet should help
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Febreeze on the carpets helps too.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010