Deer hunting neighbor......guess this might go under Relationships ?? adult content

How do you ask your deer hunting new neighbor of just under 2 months to please hang his dead animal anywhere but in the front yard ? My daughter is 19 and a vegetarian and was really disturbed by the sight ! We bought the house, so we will likely have to live next door to these people for a long time. I don't want to offend them, but a dead animal in the front yard was a bit disturbing for me too - any suggestions ?

JustMyOpinion22

Asked by JustMyOpinion22 at 7:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• you might be a redneck if....

shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• just go over, and be nice, dont get an attitude or huffy or anything, just be like hey I dont have a problem with your right to hunt or anything, but the sight of the dead animal hanging there is really upsetting my children, would you mind taking care of the animal out in the feild, or the back yard possibly..

I am from a hunting family and my dad always feild dressed the animal, then took it to the butcher, it was never left dangling in our yard.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My husband hunts and he always hangs the deer inside our garage (no, I don't EVER park the van in there!!). If he doesn't have another place to hang it, maybe he'd be willing to drape it with a tarp or something.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Just go over and politley ask him if he can hang it in the back yard. I mean, does he cut it up? If so, then he can't do it in the fieldhe needs to be close to his house for that. But I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do it in the back yard. Then just tell your DD not to go out back till he is done.

DH hunts, but we cut our own meat. He field dresses the deer, then brings it to my aunts to hang(it has to hang for a period of time) then butcher.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That's pretty much what I am planning on doing - I a pretty calm and collected person. We share a driveway, so it's pretty much just hanging out there in what really is along that shared driveway - I've know plenty of hunters who always field dressed too - never seen such a thing -and it's still there this morning - been there since yesterday morning - I don't have a problem with people hunting, but if you aren't going to eat it (or maybe they still will after it's been out in the sun all day yesterday - eeeewwww, not sure which is worse !!!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Comment by JustMyOpinion22 (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• So, is he cutting it himself? Has it been dressed? And just to ease your mind... they do have to hang for a bit before they are cut up. As long as he doesnt like leave it there for a week, and its not 80 out it will be fine. Many hunters actually butcher thier own deer.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• idk..he may have a reason for doing this. It could be that if he does it in the back there is nowhere for all the blood and guts to wash away...and by doing it in the front he can just hose it down the drive?? just a thought
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ROTFL !!!! Yep - exactly. They certainly have plenty of other things that qualify them for that one !! Thanks, I needed that !!!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Comment by JustMyOpinion22 (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks for letting me know this is "normal" to let it hang. He does have plenty of places, I'm certain, that he can find - he has 20-some acres and 4 outbuildings - I'm sure he is just used to hanging it there where it's convenient to the house and to drive the truck up under it to hang it easier, etc. We do have the "unusual" situation of having a flock of vultures that roost in our back field every night (that's a sight unto itself - and we did not know this when we bought the place - so there very well might not be a place, except in one of the barns, where he could hang it and not have the vultures go after it.!)

But I am going to ask him that if there is no place else he can really hang it, could he at least put a tarp around it so we don't have to see it !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Comment by JustMyOpinion22 (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh and yes, it does appear to have been dressed. I would assume he is cutting it himself, although he just sent several of the cows to be slaughtered - certainly hope he didn't do those himself - or if he did, I don't want to know !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Comment by JustMyOpinion22 (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010