Baby is pulling her own hair. WTH?

From birth my DD has seemed like an anxious baby. She clawed her face constantly, had a fright with every noise around her etc. She's 7 months now and luckily the clawing and fear is gone but she pulls her hair so hard and doesn't cry. For the most part, she's very friendly and chatty, just sometimes she pulls her hair and digs in her ears (she actually breaks the skin) . Pead says ears are fine. Are these early signs of anxiety disorders? Anybody else who had this?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 7:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD did this pretty regularly from about 4-7 months or so, and then it gradually subsided and by her first birthday she rarely did it unless really tired or upset by something. I would keep an eye on your child but I think this is a pretty common thing for the age and she will hopefully outgrow it over the next several months. The mittens might help in the meantime. I had all sorts of worries that my DD was going to have the disorder that causes people to pull out all of their hair, but she is 2 now and I really can not remember the last time she pulled her hair. As I said, she just outgrew it so hopefully it will be the same for your little one.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• How much does your little one sleep? Mine does this when she's overtired. I got a sleep book and now she's on a schedule of 2 hours up then sleep for as long as she will but at 6 months, more than 2 hours awake makes her very upset and pull her hair and rub her eyes and dig at her ears, too. Try a (very) regular sleep schedule... babies are learning so much all the time that after a couple of hours they need a "reset" of a little sleep. Mine only sleeps about an hour every nap so she takes 2-3 naps every day and goes to sleep at 6:30 every night. She's also awake at 6 am without fail and wakes up at about midnight, which I'm working on easing out of. Good luck!
    orangewedge

Answer by orangewedge at 7:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh she fights sleep like I fight going over to my MIL's house.. during the day. At night she sleeps about 6-7 hours sometimes
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Mine did this, She out grew it, we used mittens while she was young, I think she may be to young to have the on set of aniexty. People that hace this disorder are usally exposed to a situation, Like i used to take what ever medications that were perscribed to me til my throat swelled , now i have an aniexty towards meds....
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh, that makes sense. Thanx mamas
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yep my son has been doing that since birth he is almost 20 mts now and still does that
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my 7month old is doing the same thing with her hair and ears(she broke the skin and the first time i was scared to death till i figured it out) and it just means that they found their hair and ears and its something new to play with. however when mine first had ears that bled i of course got a baby wipe and cleaned it out so i could where the blood came from and it was from her finding her ears with nails that need to be cut so cut her nails and she will be fine.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 3:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010