help me decide

i gave nicholas reeses puffs today.. he loved them but eats them to fast.. he gags on them what should i do hes about to b 7 months so i want to start him on finger foods but hes just so grabby w/ foods he eats the so fast

Kittty_Katt

Asked by Kittty_Katt at 11:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• set there with him and give him a couple at a time. space the time inbetween each few, so he can start to understand that he will get more but to eat slowly. instead of just handing him a tray full.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Stand near and let him have it. There isn't anything you can do. He will have to figure it out on his own. NEVER LEAVE HIS SIDE WHEN HE EATS!
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My DS was the same way when he first started on finger foods. The first time I finger-swept him, I put my other hand parallel to his chin. Now, he connects my hand being there with him needing to spit out whatever is in his mouth. It isn't always pleasant, but it is far better than him choking! :) Like one of the pp's said, give him just a few at a time and let him know that he can have more when he is ready. I hope this helps!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think reeses puffs are not the right finger foods for a seven month old. They are packed full of sugar and other crap you really don't want your kid to be having. Try cheerios or the gerbers puffs. I'm not trying to criticize your parenting - I just thought I would give you some healthier alternatives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I agree with the last mom. There are alot better finger foods to give a baby than reeses pufs. They say not to give babies anything that has peanuts in it due to allergies untill after a year old. I am not sure is the reeses puffs real peanut flavor or artificial? My daughter loves the Gerber cheese puffs, they are alot like Cheetos but has whole grain and vitamins . As far as him eating too many at one time. Give him just one or two at a time for a while then you can increase, My daughter was the same way, now she is 10m and can eat a handful the proper way.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• only give him one at a time until he learns
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Um, I thought we were supposed to avoid peanut butter and honey the first year?? Puffs.. too much sugar.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 11:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i figured out with my 11 month old that i have to space some fingure foods cause he is the same way, thats the only way i can think of that works with Tre and he is learning you just have to be paciant and give him a couple or even one at a time..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 12:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Oh my gosh back off and let the child eat some reese puffs! They arent gonna hurt him! Maybe she isnt a health nut like some ppl. on here are! Neither am I my children eat them and they are healthy and fine! Just give him a couple no more than 3 or 4 at a time and watch him ... give him some juice or milk to help him sallow them!
    Anonymous

• i dont give him the stuff every day...im not as bad as u guys make me seem..anyway thanx 4 the advice! ill try everything u ladies have said thanx to the above 4 being normal and not goin "omg sugar nooo your awful" on me o btw i would never leave nicho9las alone to eat..what do i look like a crazy mama lol
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 6:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2008