People touching your baby

I have a 5 month old...does anyone have any polite things to say/do when random people try to touch/hold your baby when you're out and about? My son isn't a fan of slings or wraps so they dont' really work for me :(

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try not to let them get close enough. provide toys in the way of the pram so its harder for them to get to maybe? or you could say please dont touch him, in my religion or belief ( even if you have to make it up) it is offensive to touch a child you are not related to etc?

I havent had to deal with it thankfully, I don't let people get close. I walk a million miles an hour when shopping and I only stop for friends.

Hopefully someone will have some good ideas.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• OMG that is one of my biggest annoyances!! And why do they always seem to go for her hands?! She puts those in her mouth for crying out loud. I don't know where your bloody hands were. I just say she has severe allergies. I once literally swatted a woman's hand away after she ignored my protests. Lol. Also, when ppl say "ah what a beautiful baby" just say thank you and move along swiftly.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks so much! And I totally agree with the hands! Drives me crazy...but so far I've been doin the thank you and moving away quickly so I gotta keep it up! :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I try to position myself between my son and the random person. It annoys me that people think it is ok to touch his face or hands...ugh! I just try to run a solid defense for him and walk away at the same time I thank them for saying he is cute!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Hahaha...I just told my husband he shouldn't touch a stranger's baby!!! He reached out for the feet, and I swatted his hands away and said "You don't touch people's babies when you don't know them!!" Our 3 boys are all over 18, and I hated it when people did this as well. He knows how much I love babies, and once asked a stranger if I could hold their baby!!!! I just wanted to shoot him....scary thing.... the girl handed me her baby!!

Anyway, I'm going to show him this post!!

As for advice from a mom who could probably be your mom. You have a right to be direct....people who are touching your baby uninvited are the ones who are being rude, so just tell them "I'd appreciate it if you don't touch her/him thank you." I know it's not easy and you don't want to be rude....but again, you're not being rude they are!

Congratulations on your baby!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have 5 kids and I can seriously say I don't remember that ever happening.  I've never had strangers come up and try to hold my baby, maybe touch them but it's usually little old ladies or little kids and never bothered me much to make an issue out of it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i always have them show me their immunization records and clear them with a background check before I let anyone hold my babies.........
    Just kidding.
    Why be upset? I never worried and as long as the baby did not seem frightened , I let them hold my kids......years ago,that is.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I used a stoller a lot when my son was a baby and do the same now with my daughter. That seemed is discourage a lot of the touching and completely stopped people wanting to hold them. It still happened every now and then but I was right there to deflect it or stop it altogether. Once someone a relative knew came up to us and said they should bless our baby and used their own saliva to make the sign of the cross on our son's head. I was not thrilled and after that wasn't shy about telling people that the baby was in the stroller and we didn't take them out while in the store or wherever and that we would appreciate if they didn't touch our baby. I'm sure some didn't like it but by that time, I didn't care. I was civil and that was all that was required.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• why is everyone so freaked out if someone gets near your baby; they are being sweet; really God made babies pretty durable; they can handle a hug or two :) I don't like little preteens at m church just running off with my baby though; but really babies are gift that we recieved from God and a gift for others that see them. these people are thinking, wow i sure miss my babies,k maybe they had a child die and seeing your baby brings them some kind of relief. why can't we just give the gift of our babies; as long as we're careful? Has the world really come to this?? babies and people need all the love we can get
    justajess

Answer by justajess at 7:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010