what advice would you give someone moving overseas?

the hubby is in the military and i have never made a move of this size. im currently bot living on a base. i need advice!

3hugsandkisses

Asked by 3hugsandkisses at 8:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Travel

• I drove down to Vincenza, Italy with my Italian neighbor when I lived in Germany. Italy is so beautiful! However, the Italians can be a bit blunt sometimes (especially the women). Just overlook this, they don't intend to be rude or anything. Also, I would have your husband drive you around for the first month or so, until you get use to the way they drive. I have literally seen a 4 lane highway be turned into a 6 lane highway! I hope you find out soon when you can join your husband. I know the 2 month long wait I had to do was almost unbearable because of not knowing when I would be able to join him. I also hope that your baby is doing better. If you have not already, I would join a military group here on cafemom to see if there is anyone that is stationed there now. They could give you the ins and outs of what it is like to live there. Ciao!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My brother recently left...i told him to stay out of the massage parlors and do not answer the door if someone is knocking saying "i want to fluff pillow"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I've moved from England to Canada.  What do you want to know?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My husband is prior service and he was stationed in Germany from 2002-2005. He left for Germany first and I stayed behind for about 2 months to pack up everything and wait for permission to move. I basically only packed what was necessary and what I couldn't do with out for 3 years. Everything else, I either tossed, donated, or stored away at my parent's house. Also, go ahead and get a notebook/folder to put all your important documents in- marriage certificate, immunization records, social security cards, etc. Having this all in one place will help once you arrive. When the movers come to pack your stuff, be friendly, offer them something to drink, but watch them closely. There have been many complaints about damaged furniture from the movers the military hires. Before they come though, I would take pics of everything of value to document its condition before hand. Cont.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Cont... I see that you have three kids. Go ahead and talk to them now about the move. Talk to your kids about the new place and learn some things about the country. Try to learn a few words of the language that the country you will be moving to speaks. Most people will help a foreigner out if they are willing to try to speak their language. Also, familiarize yourself with their customs and etiquettes. This will prevent future embarrassments and misunderstandings. Once you arrive, try to immerse yourself into your new town. Get out and get involved with things within the military community. Not sure which branch your husband is in but the Army has ACS, which offers classes for the army families. These classes can be anything from a language class, a cultural class, or a couponing class. I went to a cultural class and learned that there were 4 stages of Culture shock (and yes, I went through them all!) Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Cont.. Just be aware that even though you can plan, plan, plan, not everything will go as planned. If you have a positive outlook for your new adventure, you will typically enjoy it more than if you have a negative outlook to your new move and new home. Good Luck with everything and if you are moving to Germany (specifically Schweinfurt/Bamberg area), just pm me and I will answer any questions you have about Germany.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My husband is in the Navy…the move is to NAS sigonella in sicily! My husband has been living in our new home for 2months now and is. Awaiting the process to move along for me and my childrena move. I had to hold off till now bc our new baby has medical issues that need close attention. I honestly don't know where to begin.
    3hugsandkisses

Comment by 3hugsandkisses (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Thank you so much…i am trying to keep it all together so that my kids have a smooth as possible move

3hugsandkisses

Comment by 3hugsandkisses (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010