How do you handle post-pardum depression?

LuvinMom73

Asked by LuvinMom73 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Health

• I did not have it, but i know breastfeeding women are a lot less likely to get post partum depression because breastfeeding releases happy hormones.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I havent suffered from it but i do suffer from bouts of depression. I was severely depressed before i met my hubby and was a self harmer.. with medications and counselling i have gotten better and I dont think i have depression anymore but I know its still in there somewhere. I used to right in ajournal all my feelings.. excercise helps the endorphins be released which can help depression.. oddly enough so do chocolate! listening to good music not depressive music also helps. and having someone you can cry to is a big help. there are freecall hotlines that you could always ring if you need to talk to someone anonymously, otherwise, if its severe and your willing you may want to try some meds. take a break from bub. get a baby sitter or family member. go get your nails done, hair done, go shopping.. if you make yourself look good you will feel good. goodluck.. if you need 2 chat. feel free to add me :)
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I encapsulated my placenta. That is what we are supposed to do as mammals, consume the placenta. HERE is the directions I used, it has lots of pictures. Good luck sweety! If you don't have your placenta (since I am assuming you have alread had your baby) I reccomend St. Johns Wart, HOWEVER, DO NOT take this if you are taking perscription anti depressants. Good Luck mama, and cheer up. Have someone watch the baby and go get a mani/pedi :)

-crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 9:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i never dealt with ppd, but i did deal with ppa (anxiety) after my first. i silently suffered for 8 months post partum until i did something about it. i went to an urgent care clinic one night, in tears because i didn't know why i was so paranoid all the time. she prescribed a hormonal bc for 2 months to see if that would help. she said some womens hormones never balance out after they have a baby, and by taking birth control it could help to level them back out. and it did work, i took it for 2 months and was back to my normal self. im not sure if that's the case with you, but it wouldnt hurt to ask. i hope you get help soon, i know how tough it can be. good luck
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks so much for all your comments and support, I am on a anti-depreessant for this and getting stronger everyday, my son is 9 months now but I never got it with my daughter who is 6yrs.old. My doctor says it usually lasts for the 1st year sometimes with some women. Just glad I am not alone. Thanks again ladies.
    LuvinMom73

Comment by LuvinMom73 (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010