does this sound weird to you?

so i went to check our joint checking account this morning and my husband's direct deposit wasn't in there. he's been working at the same job since may and receiving direct deposit every week on friday. at first, i was livid that he might have cancelled it because he's constantly complaining that all his money is gone before we have a chance to see it. which is true, we're a family of 5 living on a $1700/month income and receiving no asst. other than wic. dont bash, he was in the army when we made our big family but got injured so he was discharged, and now we're in a tough spot. but anyway, he said the boss wasn't in this week so he's getting a paper check. i thought once direct deposit was set up, it's always automatic. have you ever heard of anything like this before? i really hope he's not lying so he can keep the money to himself. we have bills to pay and mouths to feed! he can be so selfish sometimes...

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• If they have direct deposit it wouldn't stop unless he requested OR the company messed it up somehow, not just because his boss was out so he's lying or he got the story wrong. Well unless his boss in the payroll manager and his boss is out and then of course his boss forgot to process payroll it could have set off a whole chain of events, but in that case I would think your husband would know a lot more about the payroll process then he does. The only time I've seen DD stop abruptly was because the CFO forgot to sign off on the payroll deposit when a company was going through a bankruptcy and everything had to be done manually. Normally payroll is processed automatically every week, especially if he's been there a while it shouldn't be an issue. I'd be asking a lot more questions because it sounds fishy.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 12:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• idk..i always thought that about direct deposit too. could be that he may think you are out blowing money and he would rather have better control over it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• sounds odd.. is it likely he doesnt have a job??? or do you think he really would change the accounts?

I dont see how the DD would be changed because the boss isnt there. Who pays for the bills and groceries? if you dont have access to the money how are you to survive?? .. tough one..
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• IDK what state you live in, but with that income and that many people in a household you should be able to get food stamps. And now that the winter season is coming, get heating assistance...but that needs to be applied for by the end of October where we live. Call welfare office today for all of this. Plus the kids should or could get some sort of medical assistance.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My husband's checks are set up on auto deposit and there has only been one instance where the check posted to our account a day late. And yes, once he was set up on automatic deposits, it's always automatic until you quit or change the payment method. Sounds fishy to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If its a small business... I am sure it happens. If its a large corporation... its doubtful!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• well i handle all the bills, the budget, everything. i have been busting my ass to make sure we're covered every month for our bills. we never, EVER spend money foolishly. atleast i dont, he does because he "doesnt like that all his money goes to the girls" so he's paying $50 a week for an $800 guitar. i understand he needs something to make him feel like he's not working to pay bills. but i never buy anything i want, it's always need need need. i have battled with him about money since day 1. i wish he could understand that when he married me he took on the financial responsibility, and i am seeking work, but we have 3 young children and it's not exactly easy, especially since most of my paycheck will be just paying for daycare. if he did cancel the direct deposit, we will be screwed because he's too lazy to go to the bank, and who knows how much of it he will hold on to. idk what to do..
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• actually, it is a small family owned business. so that makes me feel a little better, if this sort of thing is heard of with small business. i hope he's telling the truth!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It sounds fishy to me. I don't think direct deposit can be changed unless the reciever changes it. It is especially fishy since you already have the feeling that he was going to do somehting like this.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I guess that depends on the size of the company. At larger companies, it is set up in the payroll system and stays that way until someone changes it. Then, when payroll runs (several days before pay day), the direct deposit file is sent to the company's bank. However, if it's a small company, things may not be so automated. How many employees work for the company?
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2010