Question for pro-spanking moms -- Is 6 too old to spank?

Is 6 too old to get spanked? My son has been SO defiant since he started first grade. He's picking up such an attitude from the other kids in his class. I haven't really spanked him for a good 6 months, but I'm seriously considering starting again. He's acting like a 4 year old!

Do/did you all still spank in first grade?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nope not to old to spank. Have you tried other things to get him to behave 1st? I have spanked my 3rd grader but I don't do it often at all she probably has only gotten spanked 5 times in her life.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Too old? Too young? Is there a special prime spanking age span????
    It's your conscience. You decide.
    sweetened

Answer by sweetened at 9:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Stand her at the wall for 6 minutes, make her look at it, and not move... Instead of the corner, and don't let her lean on the wall, or turn around. It works well with our boys, and I can proudly say it's been weeks since they have had to. They don't forget it, and I also set the timer, they have to be quiet, otherwise the time starts over..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Stand her at the wall for 6 minutes, make her look at it, and not move... Instead of the corner, and don't let her lean on the wall, or turn around. It works well with our boys, and I can proudly say it's been weeks since they have had to. They don't forget it, and I also set the timer, they have to be quiet, otherwise the time starts over
    Great answer , and what your doing works !!!!
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No way, my last spanking was at 13. (I really deserved it) DIdn't hurt but it got the point across.

In my experience putting a child in time out is punishment for the adult too. I do not have an endless amount of time to keep telling a child to sit down and be quiet or time starts over.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Age doesn't rule out spanking. It is fast and (sometimes) effective but it has a big cost if used in the wrong way for the wrong things. I think parents should be able to use their judgement. Some 6 year old's are tough and will shrugg off a spanking in which case it also will not work.
    psychstudent

Answer by psychstudent at 9:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes I would spank. I only found it necessary to spank my oldest son about every 6 months. If he needed it more often I would have done it more often.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If using your words isn't working, then I would go back to spanking until your words started working again. Also, explain this to your 6 year old and explain why.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There is no right or wrong age for spanking (except, of course, infants do not get spanked). I still spank my almost 9 year old when I have to, and my 7 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• For me- it would depend on what he's doing, and what you have already tried to fix the issue...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010