Do you think it's true that you dislike certain qualities in people because they're qualities you dislike in yourself?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 9:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe we may dislike certain things about a person without realizing we have the same problem but refuse to notice or accept that we our self have the same undesirable quality.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• In some instances yes. For example, I tend to not like impatience as a quality in others and always admire someone who is easy-going and relaxed. Yet I absolutely can be impatient & short-tempered myself. So I think this is something I dislike in other people because I dislike it in myself. However, I find more often that I dislike things about people that are OPPOSITE from mine...I'm almost always early to appointments and people who are chronically late bug the ever-loving crap out of me. That's just one example. So I think there is some truth to what you pointed out, but it's not always the case.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not necessarily.

I think it applies sometimes but not everytime.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes. I can barely tolerate myself sometimes, so dealing with someone with my own worst qualities is a fucking nightmare.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It depends on the 'qualities' which are in question, and how well rounded they become paired with the individuals other, differing facets. I tend to be a commanding personality, and therefore have trouble yielding to questionable authority figures (ie, those which are not absolute, and do not have the power to affect my personal life).
    On the flip side, I have absolute respect for people who can take charge and accomplish whatever they set out to do... It is a double edged sword. I do believe that in some instances, people absolutely despise another for the same facets of their own persona which may be present in the other individual. They may, however, not only have respect for but also enjoy their company for the same reason- as a general rule, I would not apply this as truth, but I see it frequently enough to know that we gravitate toward what we are comfortable and familiar with.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Some of the time. But not always - for example, I dislike intolerance and willful ignorance, yet I've taken the time to educate myself and the only thing I'm "intolerant" of is intolerance itself - especially if its in the form of bullying or discrimination.

But I do believe that what we think/feel about others does tel us a lot about ourselves. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• as a general rule, yes!
    sweetened

Answer by sweetened at 9:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• sometimes, they get on my nerves anyway
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My husband tends to gently point out certain similarities between me and my mother, so in some cases yes.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Lol. chocolatluver! Same here
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2010