My newborn failed his hearing test twice and...

is getting it done again Dec. 7th at the hospital he was born at. They redo them only once a month and Nov. was full.

Deafness runs on my DH's side. He said it skips a generation or something.

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 9:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait for the testing. My daughter passed her hearing test, then when she was three we had to take her to a specialist who said she was only hearing one audible above deafness. She had surgery and now hears fine. she actually said something yesterday (she just recently had the surgery) and I understood EVERY SINGLE WORD! I teared up, grabbed her, told her I understood her so well, she was doing such a great job and squeezed her. lol

I'm sure everything will be fine. :)

GL!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Don't panic until there's a reason to, ok? Good luck to you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my son failed his hearing tests the first month but then he was fine, the problem was a build of of fluid and it took time to clear out do panic to much right now...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• First, don't panic. Wait until you get the next test and go from there.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My preemie daughter failed 2 hearing tests while still in the NICU. She's been tested numerous times over the years, most recently this past summer but she's OK. Try not to worry too much; hope everything works out for you.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• TKS ladies. Its just that my two other boys pasted theirs the first time and Oliver failed two. Had me worried but not so much now. TKS for that!
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We totally JUST went through this with our 6 week old. Deafness runs on my husband's side as well....His cousin has a cochear implant and his grandfather. Our daughter failed twice in the hospital. I took her 3 weeks later to ENT and she passed just fine. I would make sure they check for fluid BEFORE she test. It was a test they did at the ENT..they said the hospital did not have that certain test. Your hospital may be different. Good luck...I know it is very stressful.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 1:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If his family has a gene that causes it the skipping a generation thing is just luck but I wouldn't freak out, all the other moms are right about trying to relax. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• TKS again ladies.
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010