is it true, cats eat grass when they're sick?

i have an outside cat and lately he's been eating grass. he did have a bad case of worms, but he was treated for it a few days ago. i didnt notice him eating it before he was treated. do they eat grass when they're sick?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pets

• Cats eat grass to aid in settling their stomach, one way or the other. Often it is vomited up later on, as previous posters have said. Most likely, your cat is attempting to shed the deceased worms, whether it will come out in the stool, or in the vomit. Do not be surprised if you suddenly notice worms coming out of him, it is normal after a deworming. As a previous poster said, please make sure to reapply the treatment as your vet recommends (generally two weeks apart) so that any immature worms can be removed as well and prevent a reinfestation. Also, cats generally get worms from fleas, so if you haven't already treated your cat for fleas, I recommend doing so. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I know cats eat grass to settle their stomachs.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes very much so, just the same as dogs eat grass too.. they do it sometimes to make themselves vomit .. i would think the worms are irritating your cat.. are you still thoroughly worming your cat?? once they have full grown adult worms they should be wormed every fortnight for the first two ftnights then every month.. im not a vet but i had a puppy with roundworm !
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yeah, I think so. Dogs do it too.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I dont know why they do this , i even see my dogs do the same as my cat ' MINOUCHA' , but they'r doing well i mean they'r not sick
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 9:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not necessarily..mine eat it pretty frequently and they're not sick, it aids digestion.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 9:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My cats would eat grass all of the time if given the chance.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• This is normal behavior for cats. The grass seems to help them, but they usually vomit it up later. Your cat may have eaten something outside that bothered him, it could be a reaction to the worming process, could be hairballs. Keep an eye on him to see if this is a common occurence for him. My inside cats eat grass anytime I bring it in, seems to provide something they lack; of course, they vomit later.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I've never seen my cat eat grass, but he rarely goes outside. I know my dogs eat grass though. I've always heard they do it to settle their stomach.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not alwyas, some just like the taste
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2010