How do you organize those little toys and books

My son just turned 6 and for his birthday he received quite a few lego sets, he also has several trio sets. How do I keep track of all these tiny pieces and keep things together. How do you keep your kids books organized?

my house is so small and cluttered ( but not dirty (this is cafemom ) so had to clarify that, lol) I just don't really have anyplace to put stuff

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 9:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We got plastic tubs and we put all the legos in one, hot wheels in another, my dd's barbie stuff in another, etc. We had a smaller tub that sat on top of the lego tub that had all the lego "books" in it with the instructions on how to build what (for when they wanted to follow directions and not just "build cool stuff").

Also, when they got puzzles, I would number the back of all of them (this one is all 1's, the next one is all 2's, etc... - not, 1, 2, 3, in the same puzzle lol). Then, if (more like when...) the box got all beat up, they got put in a tub as well (though usually I would put them in ziploc bags then put a lot of bags into one bin, with the box lids inside the tub also (with the matching number for whatever puzzle it was on the back). This way, they could find the picture for the puzzle they wanted, and also, when all the pieces got spilled and mixed, it was easy to sort them out.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I use cheap plastic tubs with lids, the smaller ones are perfect for keeping Lego's together, and they stack easily.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• do I keep the directions of each play set inside each box?
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I use small shopping bags like you would use to give a gift in. I also Took a bunch of Pampers big diaper boxes with the handle openings and covered them with cute contact paper. They are easy for my Son to drag over to wherever he wants to play with his toys. I use white storage crates stacked two high and I connected them with twist ties to hold his books.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• These are some fantastic ideas!! Thank you! and I'm still open to more ideas and what others are doing for storage
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Get a toybox for the bigger toys, then individual baskets for the little toys. Teach him to put things away in the proper basket after he's done with them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I just got my son a toybox that has a soft sturdy top so its like a bench too. Im working on getting him one of those storage things, with those little cloth bins for my son. Hes not two yet so the organization is more for me. When hes a little older Ill replace the cloth bins with clear boxes so he can see and put away toys himself and move the cloth bins to his little sisters room!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have huge 50 gallon rubbermaid boxes for the big things I just need to keep track of the tiny things like legos and the insanely little pieces
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• A bookshelf where you can put all those bins and boxes works great. The kids can see where everything goes. In toyboxes sometimes the smaller stuff gets lost and never played with.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I got my son one of those storage shelving units with 9 spaces to put the cloth bins. The little toys go in the bins, the books go in the spots where there aren't any bins.

sailorwifenmom~~Your solution for puzzles is one of the best ideas ever! Thanks for sharing, I'll be doing that from now on. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2010