A few cooking questions..

I bought canned kidney and pinto beans instead of the dried ones you have to soak, will it taste different after cooking in a crock pot for hours? Will it be extremely soggy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have never noticed a difference between the soaked beans and the canned when I've had to use them in a crock pot.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It won't be soggy, they may split, but you'll be fine. I've used canned beans many times with no problem.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Nope they won't taste any different at all and they are faster then having to soak beans just dump them in whatever you are cooking
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Nope, they don't taste any different. And they don't get soggy.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They will be saltier than dry beans, unless you normally add a lot of salt to the cooking dry beans. So IMO they taste just a little better even though they're worse with the amount of sodium. They'll get softer but not soggy, and will likely split if you cook them for a long time. If you're making chili or something like that, you won't notice a difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not at all.... It will take a little less time to cook since you don't have to soak the beans.
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 11:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• no they wont they a life savers people think i cook the dry ones sometimes i dont cant tell the difference
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I prefer dried, but canned will do if you follow these tips. Rince the beans, Cover with fresh water, don't cook as long as normally do in a crockpot. A couple of hours will do. Add ham or bacon for seasoning. I also like to add Lawrey's seasoned salt or Jane's Mixed up seasoning, if you have either of those. Or a little paprika, or whatever your favorite seasonings are.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You may want to rinse the beans first

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010