hpw old was your baby when you stopped sterilizing bottles?

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We were told that we only needed to sterilize before the first use, but I did run them in the dishwasher or in a steam bag sometimes too. I definitely cleaned them very throughly with a bottle brush and nipple brush and allowed them to air dry since that is better than towel drying. If I had a preemie or a baby with a compromised immune system, I'm sure we would have been instructed us differently. Also, they asked if we had city or well water, so I think they instruct people with well water to sterilize for a while--maybe 6 months to a year. I was pretty protective of germs the first few months, but after he started crawling I tried to relax about it a little. I definitely didn't want him to get sick, but if everything around them is too sterile they don't get a chance to develop some natural immunities. I'd just ask your Dr what he/she thinks is best for your baby--it really depends on a lot of circumstances.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was told that after 2 mos sterilizing was no longer necessary. I would run them through the dishwasher and that is considered sterilizing. But most of the time I just hand washed and let air dry.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:55 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I only sterilized them prior to the first use... I've never really been big on sterilizing everything, and being TOO protective of him. Aside from one or two minor colds, he's never been sick a day in his life (he's 2 now). A close friend of mine was anal about sterilizing everything, washing hands/using purell before touching the baby etc, and her kid is sick ALL the time. I believe kids need some exposure to germs to build up a resistance. I did always wash the bottles in the dishwasher. But that's about it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I never stopped sterilizing bottles. I stopped the day she stopped taking a bottle.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I stopped when she was 6 months old, we introduced slippy cups, i was not boiling them. so y keep boiling the bottles.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I sterilized before the first use. I didn't use bottles until my DD was over 6 months so I just washed them by hand with hot soapy water and called it good. I am from the school of thinking that exposure to germs is good for the immune system so I don't know that I would have been so concerned about it had she been younger than 6 months when I started, but I would have been more careful if she were a newborn. I also didn't really use the special water either.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Never stop sterilizing baby bottles! That is lazy; babies have weaker immune systems and need our help!
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 10:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You only sterilize before the first use.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 12:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I've never steralized them.  Not even before the first use.  Shrugs.  I have 5 kids and all are very healthy.  I either washed bottles in hot soapy water or run them through the dishwasher.  Even my doctor said running them through the dry cycle in the dishwasher will kill anything on them.

And I also go by what anouck said...exposure to germs is how kids build immune systems.  We never use antibacterial anything, the kids used to eat off our floor, never steralized anything, put binkies back in their mouths after falling on the ground, etc and my kids are rarely ever sick.  They have great immune systems.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I never sterilized. I put them in the dish washer or hand washed with a bottle brush, detergent and hot water.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010