Bullies

What do you do about your child being bullied? What do you do when that bullying isn't in a school setting?

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 10:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would go streight to the other kids house and talk to his parents ..
    kimmi85035

Answer by kimmi85035 at 1:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My children haven't been bullied.. I hope they never are.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Can't do much when they are at school

outside of school it isn't gonna happen as I'm usually with him and I WILL say something.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Report, report, report.

At school, start w/ the teacher and if necessary, go up the chain. Doesn't matter if it's on the bus, to/from school, etc.

Outside of that, depends where it's happening. But I find that being there prevents a lot of bullying. Most bullies are too cowardly to pull their crap when there's a parent standing right there.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree with geminilove...report it. If you know that your child is being bullied and its outsdie of the school, then there is an adult in charge of this kid somewhere...don't sit idly by thinking it will pass because it will not...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It depends on what is going on. If it's words, I tell them the same thing I was told, "that kid is insecure and looking for someone to put down so they feel better - Ignore them and walk away." If it gets physical I'll tell them to stand up for themselves. My kids are taught not to start the fight, but to finish it. IF that doesn't work - I WILL FINISH IT! But I learned from experience, mom stepping in to "fix things" only makes things worse.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yeah, they were at soccer practice. The bully was the goalie and my son was a forward. He wailed that ball right at the bully, nailed him in the chest with it. Normally, I do not advocate violence but I was proud of my son for making a goal (the bully dropped the ball into the goal)... something the bully hasn't done all season.

The name calling, well, the smaller things like "dork" and whatnot, we just explain to our kids that it's the bully's insecurity and being a dork is cool... the dorks become the one's who sign the paychecks when they're all grown up, and the bullies are the ones who can't find jobs. LOL
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i agree with geminilove
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010