Name calling... so different from when I was a kid

Things have definitely changed. When I was a kid other kids would name call but it would be silly things like "dog" or "lame" or "dork".... why is it that kids now are name calling with cuss words? My son was called an SOB last night at soccer (only the kid actually used the words where I used the acronym). These are 8 and 9 year olds! And they have new words too. "Turtle head?" I had to ask my husband about that one (who also had to ask what it meant). Apparently it means penis.

Maybe it's just because I grew up in rural America that I didn't experience the cussing as name calling... but now that has come to rural America as well?

I don't know, I was just flabbergasted that my son was called an SOB yesterday by an 8 year old.

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 10:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not only can you be proud of your son, but also of yourself. Knowing you instilled good ethics in your kids is ALWAYS something to take pride in. I have heard such language out of the youger set, as well. Not all of them hear it at home. But, they will emulate what they hear at school from kids who DO hear it at home. I'm not perfect. I have let a curse word or two fly in a highly heated situation (volatile previous marriage). But, never in front of my kids. And, I'm sure my kids (now all over 18) have let one slip. But, never aound me. And, not in general conversation with anyone else, that I know of. LOL. They've never been big on cursing. Thank goodness!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Obviously their parents don't teach them what's bad and what's not.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Nope...nothing to do with rural. I grew up in the city with the same labels you did. But, now, I walk through the high school here in our rural area, to hear girls calling each other "bitch", "Ho" , etc...and guys calling each other MF's and more. And these are the ENDEARMENTS!!! So, yeah, it's definitely gotten worse. And, honestly, I think it's because all those words are used so freely in rap and hip-hop.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• times are a changing.. in my years they never used cuss words just silly hurtful words to kids.. these days kids learn words quickly and the parents are probably using them themselves so the kid pick it up from them. you need to tell your kids water of a ducks back. and not to take heart to the hurtful words. the kids are just ignorant and immature and being a bully makes them feel better about their own insecurities.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• WOW! I would bust my kids butt for speaking like that in general and if to another child also! That is just lack parenting! Around our house we joke around with each other and I tell the kids they are "silly gooses" and my 5 year old says stuff like "You are a squirrel mommy" or "you're a tree!" lol... More or less whatever they can see at the moment is what you are. :) But ours is in good fun when they or we say/do something deemed as "goofy".
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think you have to teach your kids as a parent that your child has to be responsible for his or her own actions and words..Ignoring it will make your child grow up to be an inconsiderate jerk nobody will want to be around.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Bravo to your son, momof3!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 11:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was shocked, to say the least. I mean, I remember coming home as a child and asking my mom what "bit--" meant and she explained it to me. But I hadn't heard it from someone my age, I heard it from the high school kids on the school bus. The child yesterday was younger than my son who's only 10. This was an 8 year old saying it. We talked to our son last night about it so he's not taking it to heart at all. He knows it was just said to try and get a rise out of him, and it failed, miserably. He's very level-headed for a 10 year old. I'm proud of how he responded.
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks tinamatt and specialwingz!
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• How old are you? Cause when I was a kid, it wasn't any different than it is now. Words like "dork" or "geek" weren't every used, and if they were, it was by the "dorks" and "geeks" the average kid wasn't using them. I mean I realize I'm seen as a "young mom" (I'm 27) but I haven't really seen stuff like this change at all. I keep hearing (online) about how much things have changed, how much worse things are, but I don't see it, not at all. I think if anything, parents are just being super aware now and super sensitive, parents didn't care about this stuff when I was a kid, if you weren't coming home with bruises, you were told the old "Stick and Stones" rhyme and told to ignore words... Now we feel like we need to shield our kids from everything that could hurt their feelings... Kids didn't change, Adults did.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2010