Are the terms 'nerd' and 'geek' as bad today as it was in the past?

it was a very insulting thing to be called at one point and hurtful. Is it still that way?

Still dunno whats so awful about not being into what's "popular" so much that people need to be insulted and socially outcast. Be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that it is actually a good thing these days.....a lot of people refer to themselves as nerds and geeks....When I was in school, if you made good grades, liked computers, math, chess, etc....you were a social outcast....it doesn't seem to be true anymore.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No it really isn't that bad. I also preferred to date the guys with those kind of labels b/c they actually take the time care about who they are with and appreciate them. I currently have one of those guys.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I never thought nerd or geek was a bad thing. This was me in High School, '95.

Honor roll student
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No, I think those of us who grw up being teased a lot about it are coming back to own the words how. A comedian/actor I know does a one-man showed called "Nerdgasm". There's a stage show called "W00tstock" and websites like "ThinkGeek" that specifically sell Geeky toys.

Comic Con, The Big Bang Theory.... being a "nerd" is cool now!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have actually always been attracted to the nerds and geeks, to me brains are sexy! And the nerds and geeks were usually the smartest kids around... I don't really see it as an insult as much as it used to be.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:55 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• it was bad for me. They would call me those things with the clear intent to be hurtful and it had its impact on me into my adult years.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't think it was ever that "bad". Nerds and geeks are usually more intelligent and interested in things that most of us don't even understand----way too smart for most of us ordinary people. I would be flattered if I was called a "nerd" or a "geek". But ae women/girls ever called nerds or geeks? I don't know....
    I would rather date one of the nerds or geeks ....rather than a "football star" or a "rock star" because those guys are not the brightest bulbs on the tree.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010