What would you do ?

My brother was engaged to a girl and they were together for almost 2 years. They lived with my mom and dad for awhile and while there, she filled their living room, garage and 2 bedrooms full of stuff... one of the things being a box of barbies... of course my daughter seen them and loved them ( she is into barbies) .... so she told my daughter that she can have them.... so about 8 months ago we went ahead and brought them home and now they are all mixed in with her barbie and she plays with them all the time.

Now her and my brother have broken up ( because of her literally being crazy and lying about EVERYTHING) so today she sent me a message on facebook saying she really misses us and she really hates to but she needs to take the barbies back.

My mom said we shouldnt have to, and that she still has tons of stuff left at their house too and she needs to get that stuff first... I just dont think it is fair of her ?

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 10:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I wouldn't give them back.. she gave them to your daughter.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• that what I think, because when she gave them to my daughter she even gave a big "heartfelt" speech about how she would lvoe for my daughter to have them, and she sees her as a neice etc..

I understand that she is still hurt over the breakup and maybe she somehow thinks it could make them get back together or this is 'getting back at him" .... but my daughter literally plays with them everyday and she knows exactly which one is which, she has names for all of them...everything.
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• but she is also the type who would try and tkae me to court over this ( she tried to take a friend to court over beanie babies !!! if that shows how she is ) .... but is this something that could really hold up ?
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldnt give them to her. She gave them to your DD. It would have been one thing if she said that when your DD is over at your moms she could play with them there but she GAVE them to her. I would just tell her that I am sorry but you gave them to my DD and I cant just take them all away from her. That is just rude.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• She gave them to your daughter months ago as a gift. Its not right for her to take them back now because she and your brother broke up. I highly doubt, even if she went to court, they'd pay much attention to her.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't it. She gave them to her and 8 months she wants them back, to bad so sad lady.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If she ask for them give them back just explain to your daughter WHY? and buy your daughter a new one to comfort her.
    Addie721

Answer by Addie721 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The Barbies have nothing to do with the break-up. I'd refuse to give them back, or ignore that request. I can't believe she would even ask for them back!
    nicksmom604

Answer by nicksmom604 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would not want my daughter to keep a gift like this so I would give them back and go buy you daughter a new Barbie.
    Just explain that they are hers and she misses them, you daughter will understand if told in a nice way.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I never see her around... I was just planning on ignoring her until she 'forgets" about it...

I mean she still has her "precious" beanie babies at my moms too and they have been there for like 10 months and she still hasnt got them.

Part of me feels bad because i assume she wants them to save for her own children... but I just dont want to do that to my daughter...and my daughter trumps her.
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010