How can I get fired from my job and still collect Unemployment Insurance? My boss is evil!!

I started my job in February & found in May I am pregnant with my 1st, right around the time I realized that I worked for a very dishonest, unethical woman. I have heard horror stories from former employees about her getting PHYSICALLY and verbally abusive with former employees, one of whom was 7 months pregnant at the time. She is now treating me horribly, expecting twice the work I was hired to do, being very rude and condescending, and although I was promised that she would be flexible with schedules but when I asked to go down to 4 days a week instead of 5 in January (a month before my due date) she said NO. I really need to get fired. I don't like the idea of mooching off of the system but if I quit I will not even get disability payments when I have the baby and nobody is going to hire me 6 months pregnant. This is affecting me way too much.

Thank you so much for reading!!

jspaghetti

Asked by jspaghetti at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• Yes, I think she understands that it is fraud and it is illegal.. However, I feel that she might feel she is in a real mess and is asking for some help.. Thank you above government informer!! LOL! If you feel that she is really dangerous and doing absurd things, you might just want to go down and talk to the unemploymet office anyway... just see what they think.. sometimes there are exceptions to if you feel your job is jeopardizing your health, sanity, etc.... Just a thought!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I was "fired" once because she didn't like me. She found a way around it to make it look like something else, but I was granted unemployment anyhow. She wasn't happy. Kill her with kindness...you'll feel better :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Do you realize that unemployment is less than $275 per week? It may not be worth it. Many do not have jobs and wish they did. I would talk to her and try to work things out. If she has any children, she should understand. AT this point, you have nothing to loose but your job...so tell her what is on your mind and how don't appreciate the way she treats you and all. Perhaps she may not even notice that she is plain mean. sometimes it takes others to point it out. Now, if she fires you for confronting her, well I guess you got your wish. But seriously, do the best to keep your job, you are very lucky to still have one being pregnant and all. Unemployment is not the answer. In the meantime, if you want to consider doing something else on the side that can earn you extra money and even replace that job, let me know, visit my profile...I can help. Good luck either way.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• trying to get fired so you can collect unemployment is fraud, which is ILLEGAL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Pupmom, you are my hero, LOL! I thought this was a site for us to all support each other and sometimes the health of our kids is more important than laws that don't protect us.

THANK YOU!! :)
    jspaghetti

Answer by jspaghetti at 12:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008