Help - my baby grinds his teeth!

My 8 month old has four teeth - two top front, two bottom front - and he'll sometimes grind them together. How can I discourage or stop this?

Tentaculata

Asked by Tentaculata at 11:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• omg my son is 10 months and hes been doing it for at least a month, i just clap my hands or do something to distract him... sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, but it drive me NUTS!!
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 12:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• You can't. It's normal. Nothing you can do about it.
    Anonymous

• This was going on with my girl when she was like 3 or 4. The Dr. said that most of the time when they do it (especially when sleeping) they don't realize they are doing it. With thier teeth growing and constantly changing position all the time, they sometimes do it to soothe the pain. Hope this helped!
    Mom2KnowsBest

Answer by Mom2KnowsBest at 12:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Hang in there. It will stop. I never thought my little guy was going to stop and didn't realize until I read this post that he hasn't done it for about 2 months. (He turned 1 two weeks ago.) It's so annoying I know! They all do it though. Just something you have to deal with.

You can try giving him something to eat. He has 4 teeth so maybe some gerber puffs or a cracker. I bought my son that food net thingy they can hold and you can put food into. He loved cold peaches when he was going through that grinding stage.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• 10 month old has been doing it for like a month or so, I do what was suggested like clap or grab a toy for him and try to distract him. GOOD LUCK!
    GJames23

Answer by GJames23 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2008