when you get your birth records from a hospital all that is in it is the birth right?

i have a midwife wanting me to contact a hospital for birth records when she is actually wanting prenatal information. about unlocalized pain in a birth when i was 19. i've had 3 kids since and have not had the pain again. but she is stating that i will have the pain with all pregnancies because i had it with that one. which is not true.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 11:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sounds to me like she's trying to be prepared.... but if you have a pain with one you can't guarantee it again. I have had 3 and only 1 was back labor-- every pregnancy and labor is different. I would say if you feel uncomfortable to find another midwife. She is looking for the hospitals notes ON DELIVERY not prenatal care.... she wants to make sure your not high risk during labor and stuff. I don't know if you can get that information though... I think she would need to get it after you sign a release.
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The question you have to ask at this point is do you really want a midwife who doesn't listen you and argues?
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It is always a good idea to have copies of your records. But I'm concerned that she isn't doing a very good job of listening to you. If you do get copies, keep copies for yourself.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• What she is talking about with "birth records" is your OB medical records.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If she wants prenatal, I would think she would need the records from your prenatal doctor/provider at the time. The hospital records are only for what was done in the hospital. You could always get both just to cover everything. However, maybe you want to look into other midwives and see what they say. You know your body better than anyone. Does she know you've never experienced that pain again when you were pregnant?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• that's what i thought but she is saying hospital records. she is wanting me to contact the hospitals i had my babies in and have them fax her my birth records. not contact the midwife that did the prenatal and delivery for her records. that's why i'm confused at what she is really asking and wanting.

oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yeah i have told her. that when she was here and i have told her that in a email. but she keeps talking about it. everything about that pregnancy and birth was different and none of my pregnancies have been anything like that since.they have all been pretty regular (if you can even say that with a pregnancy) problem free pregnancies.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• finaorlando- that's what i thought too, but when i sent her a email asking why the change in mind because when i saw her she ha stated i just needed to get records from the local hospital. she keeps talking about the pain. over and over again it's the pain. which is not why i was induced. the midwife i had with that pregnancy said i had one of the most stressful pregnancies she has seen which would cause the pain. the pain was kind of like the normal skin stretching but it would hurt to the point it would get breath taking and if i was driving there i would have to pull over. but it wasn't pain really to do with the pregnancy or anything like that. ultrasounds was done and everything was just fine.

i have told the midwife that. and the records she is asking for will have absolutely nothing to do with that. that's why i'm trying to figure out why she is wanting them because they will have a text book medical birth.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It sounds to me like she wants to see your medical records.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yes but the records she is asking for has nothing to do with the reason she is asking for them. the reason she is asking she would need the prenatal records not the birth records.

seems no one understand my confusion.....
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010