Has anyone used a midwife in their pregnancies?

I have been considering using a midwife for my future pregnancies. I am doing research before I try to conceive again. I would like to know what you like or did not like about using a midwife.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you're interested in preventative care, and being able to birth your child how nature intended, then it is definitely the path for you. I had a MW with 2 of my 3, and wish I could have with the first (was considered high risk because of age, and circumstances surrounding the pregnancy).
    They tend to take a lot more time to get to know you, and help educate you on the ins and outs of pregnancy, labor, birth, postpartum care in order to help prevent problems before they arise- The most important thing to a MW is preventing issues, but if there is one, they refer you to a specialist who has been trained in dealing with them.
    They view pregnancy/birth as a natural course of events, not a medical condition.

My 3rd was a waterbaby, and was born at a local birth center with my MW observing. I was the first one to touch him, to hold him, it was incredible. I also recovered the most quickly from his birth as well.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had a midwife for all 5 of mine. She doesn't do home births though, her office is in with the family clinic/hospital. I absolutely loved her. I do have to admit, when I got pregnant with my first my choices were either her or a male doctor - I did not want a male doctor so I chose her, but I stuck with her even when there were female docs to choose from. She really didn't do anything differently than the docs in the practice (once in a while I had to see one of them if I needed a checkup while she was on vacation), but she was a lot nicer and took more time with appointments. They're just like doctors though in one sense - there are good, and there are bad - you can find a doc you love and a doc you hate, and the same with midwives - you could find research to make you choose one but then not like her. The best research is actually going and meeting them IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had a midwife for all 3 of my births. At the time, we lived about 30 minutes from a birth center. Now we are 2.5 hours from a birth center, so I'll be looking for a midwife who does home births next time around. I much preferred the midwife to an OB (with my 3rd pregnancy I had to go to an OB at first because there weren't any midwives around, thankfully we moved back home where I could go to the midwife who delivered my first 2 babies). The midwife was much more hands off and let your body tell you what you need to do. That's what I was looking for.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I used a midwife for my first pregnancy and am using the same one again with this pregnancy am 26 weeks now. I love having a midwife, it just seems relaxed, and seems like when you have a apt. its like goin and seing a friend. I just love it
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had a certified nurse midwife with my first. Meh. The care was a little too much like an OB's care to me. She didn't respect my birth plan and had very little sympathy for me after the birth when I was so devastated (I had wanted a home birth, was convinced to go to the hospital and ended up with an induction and a baby who had a premature neurological system). I wouldn't go back to her OR the hospital unless I absolutely had to for my life or my baby's.

I had a home birth midwife with my second. That experience was amazing. It was exactly what I wanted it to be, and my midwife was so respectful and calming and wonderful. I have nothing but happy memories about that birth, and my son was born without any complications.

Research where you want to give birth, what kind of midwife you want and how you want things to go. Join the group Birth Is Normal we have tons of info there :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I WANTED a midwife but they refused to call her and called my ob instead. I much preferred her method than an OB....
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 11:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Midwives are "Normal Birth Specialists."
    I prefer that to a surgeon/high risk doctor for my normal care.
    Since I know that doctors have high-tech/low touch stats, and that this generally makes for poorer care, I want to avoid that!

I have been studying this subject for a while~
    You can research more, I can offer more, be informed and know what you want and why!
    :-D
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ati brings up that there are different kinds of midwives~ good point!
    When you know what you prefer from your experience, you can learn who is more likely to provide it.
    More than this, you can learn how to get it on your own, expecting that your paid attendants will serve you appropriately!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had my kids in the late 1960's and went to Air Force hospitals. I knew my great grandma had her children on their farm ,delivered by a midwife,but that was all I heard about them. I trusted Doctorsand still do.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010