after you wean

How long did it take for your milk to dry up after you stopped bfing?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe a couple of months -- although we tapered down very slowly and for a long time so by the time she was done nursing, there wasn't much being produced, anyway
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Never. I have never stopped lactating between pregnancies, or after my 3rd child was weened.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• At almost 3 years I still have a little.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I can't answer the question personally because I weaned my daughter while I was very pregnant with my son. So my milk had already returned to colostrum lol.

The body is not designed to stop making milk suddenly. Most mammals nurse their young 2/3 of the way to sexual maturity, which for humans is about 7 years! So considering that we are designed for the weaning process to take about 6 years of slowly (VERY slowly!) tapering off, it's no surprise that many women still have milk months or years after they last nursed their children.

Pretty incredible, right?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• 2-3 years
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• After my daughter weaned it took 2-3 months for my breastmilk to dry up with no assisted help.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010