How many chances does a person get?

How many times can someone say things like "stupid gays" or "evil Muslims" before you discount their opinion on all things completely? Does that standard change between a regular person and a media figure (like Juan Williams or O'Reilly)? Meaning, do you tolerate the slurs and ignorance more from a "regular person" and hold the media figure or politician to a higher standard and turn on them after one? Or do you excuse a media figure no matter how many times it's repeated?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They not only tolerate it, they give him an expanded role and a raise at Fox news....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• LOL. Sweet a kins! True!

I never excuse ANYONE if they use terms like that.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm with sweet-a-kins and kerp1960!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Who said that? I've never heard anyone say that so I can't really say I tolerate it. If you hear it a lot do you tolerate it? What do you do? What would you like others to do? Neither of those men said it but your dislike of those individuals sure comes through. When do you stop judging people you know nothing about. You can't even get what was said straight and in context. I think it's time we call out people like you.
    Obviously you only hear what you want to hear.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Who said that?

"stupid gay" is in the TITLE of a question several down from this one. "evil Muslim" is recurrent through multiple mosque questions. I know you've read them and participated in them, so I don't see how you could miss it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• While I don't agree with Juan's opinion. I think this could have been a learning moment for America to open dialogue. Juan said something that MANY Americans feel. So instead of shutting him down, NPR did handle it poorly.. IMO, NPR increased the divide of frustration many Americans feel. A frustration that could have been handled as a learning moment... IMO~ there should have been a fully engaged discussion to open dialogue. I do agree with ANYONE's right to speak free.... That includes the NAACP falsely accusing and going on an all out campaign that they think ALL of the Tea Party are Racist. That includes the other NPR analyst who express their opinions. Do I think they should receive Federal Funding in any way? No... But let them speak free.
    I feel the same way about CM's... Say what you want. Open Dialogue is a good thing.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh, about as many times as a person says, "we will bring the changes needed! We have the hope that we can change the way things are." Ring a bell,ladies? Hm...how's that "hopey,changey thingy working out for you all now?"
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think if someone says, "stupid gay".. Instead of going on the defense. Ask them why they feel that way..
    If someone says 'evil muslim" ask them why they feel that way.
    Encourage dialogue... If one goes on the attack with emotional comments, that doesn't bring about dialogue. JMO
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Once, then I'm done. I don't tolerate bigotry.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't tolerate bigotry either. And a dialogue won't work....won't change them at all. So,I just walk away. And if it happens in theMEDIA, I refuse to watch or listen to the offenders.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010