At what age should children begin extra curricular activities?

Does it matter if they begin at a young age compared to if they start later 4th 5th grade or even middle school?

Momforhealth

Asked by Momforhealth at 11:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Any age will do..it helps them build their confidence and abilities in areas of interest
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my son started tball, soccer at 3.. basketball at 4
    I dont think it really matters the age. I mainly put my son in it to help burn some energy and get him out there playing with other kids and socializing.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think whenever they show interest in a certain sport, activity, etc. that's when you can enroll them in it. Not just because you want them to. I have a friend who just put her two-year-old in gymnastics and the little girl cries every single time, but yet her mom still makes her go. It's ridiculous.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When they want to. My gram put my aunt (younger than me) in dance and gymnastics from the time she was 2 or 3, but my aunt never had an interest so she would just sit on the floor and refuse to do anything... I never had an interest in that kind of thing, so I never got in to them. I think if you put your kids in to that stuff before they want to it's not going to do any good cause they will only learn to see it as a chore rather than an enjoyable activity. We will expose our kids to different options, and if and when they choose to become involved, we'll sign them up, but not before they have an interest.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If you can afford it, I think its good to encourage it as early as possible. I plan to put my daughter in dance at 3 as long as we can afford it. However, I will not force her to do things extra curriculars, but if she cries just when she first leaves me but then settles in and has fun, I would continue to take her. I also think that its smart to look for other extra curriculars - arts and craft things too.

My cousin has three kids. Here oldest and youngest do sports, while the middle girl does art classes.

Figure out what is best for your family and your child. If they are never exposed to a sport they won't know if they like it... However, it can get expensive trying out every sport in the book too. So, just be smart about it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Whenever they WANT to be involved and ,more important, IF they have time.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We start at age 5, when school starts. I limit to only 2 activities at a time, but I think one at a time will be more the norm than the rule.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Both my boys started wrestling at 4; baseball at 5; football at 8. I think its good to encourage them at a young age if they show interest.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• DD started when she was about 20-21 months. I personally think the earlier the better.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2010