a bit worried...need opinions..

im almost 26 weeks pregnant and i had my gluclose test done last friday and it came out a bit high, because i ate before my appointment. the nurse nor the doctor told me i was getting blood tests done that day so i ate, if i wouldve known obviously i wouldnt have eaten. so tomorrow im going to the hospital to get some more blood tests done and to see if i have diabetes...should i be worried that theres a good chance that i do have diabetes, or im overreacting and all this happened because i ate before the tests and im okay?

joymoon87

Asked by joymoon87 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Definitely overreacting. With my first, I failed my glucose by one point - ONE! They send you for the 3 hour test if you fail the first one, and if you fail the 3 hour, THEN you have gestational diabetes. What you eat can highly impact your test results, even if it is hours before (like mine). When you go tomorrow, unless it's late in the afternoon, don't eat anything before. Just bring food with you for immediately after. Good luck! (and PS - a lot of people fail the first time around, it's very common).
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think you are overreacting.I dont think you will have an issue.But if in fact that you do,everything will be takne care of I promise!
    codys_wife_07

Answer by codys_wife_07 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It kinda depends on how long before you had the test done that you ate. Just make sure that you dont eat before the test again so you know that that is not the reason for the high results. Good luck and hope it all works out well!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have heard that most women have to go back for more tests because the 1st one comes out too high. I had the same thing happen last year, My tests came out too high. All of my sister in laws said they had to go do another test as well. But you should be fine. The 2nd test came back normal for me :)
    Stevie615

Answer by Stevie615 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I failed both of mine. I didn't have GD but my sugar levels spike around an hour after I get up then they go back down. That's without ever eating or drinking anything.
    They should have told you. If you do have GD, you just have to watch what you eat. it's not that big of a deal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think it happened because you ate before the test. You will be okay either way though. :) They make sure you and the baby are very safe throughout the pregnancy.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They way they do GD screens kind of set you up to fail. If this one comes back positive again, ask your doctor for a postprandial glucose screen. They are much more reliable.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• shelli,
    i literally ate maybe 30 min. before my appointment. it sux cuz now im all worried for my baby.. :(

but all your opinions really gave me some insight on whats to come for tomorrow! it's ridiculous tho 7am- 12pm. its crazy how long that is...i mean sheesh how much blood do they need lol

joymoon87

Comment by joymoon87 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks for all your help ladies! i appreciate it so much :-)
    joymoon87

Comment by joymoon87 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010