Why do you have your children in after school activities?

Is it for the child or is it image? Do you have a long term vision for your child or is it the child's vision? Is it to build confidence? To give them something to do? To have friends? Does it really make a difference in the long term?

Momforhealth

Asked by Momforhealth at 11:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• We don't right now. They need to focus on school, and I can't see running them around from place to place healthy for their education. They play baseball in the Summer, and if they have something they want to do otherwise, it has to be a weekends only thing. I don't believe in the fast paced life. Our boys have plenty of character, with or without being involved in a bunch of activities. They know how to entertain themselves at home, and will have plenty of time to run around when they're older.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My daughter's activities are limited to two things at a time, but she currently only has one - Girl Scouts. The only other activity she has done is soccer. She loves them both.

The reason I do this is because I don't have alot of friends, so I worry my daughter won't have alot of positive women influences in her life. I picked the Daisy troop because I hope she will both make friends there (and soccer) as well know other women that can help her when she needs it, if she decides not to come to me for whatever reason. Her Daisy troop is co-led by the leader and a Cadet troop. She is assigned one of the cadets as a buddy, and she LOVES her! This is their second year together. The leader had the cadets since they were daisies too!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My kids aren't in any activities.  We can't afford it and I would have no way to get them to anything since I don't have a car.  There is a boys and girls club in the next town over that offers bus service right from the school but I'd rather they come home.  They don't get home until 4pm as it is, dinner is at 5pm and then they have to come in and do their reading at 7pm to be in bed by 8pm.  That's only 4 hours they are home during the day.

When we lived in Chicago they did classes at through our park district.  I limited them to 1 or 2 a term (they met for 1 hour each week) because with all the kids it was too much running back and forth from home to the park.  They only signed up for stuff that interested them because it was fun.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I plan to have my son in activites soon. He is just turning 3 and even though he goes to daycare, he is very socially withdrawn from others and he lacks trying ANYTHING.. I took a parenting class for ways and things to say to help boost his self confidence and now I would like him to try as well - we certainly have no future goals for him in activities, its more for social and fun, if he doesn't like it, he does not HAVE to continue but I think being in activities would have kept me from being bored and experimenting with alcohol/drugs and sex at the early age I did..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I plan to have my child in activities that she is interested in to allow her to explore her interests and to help her build character. I also may have her go to the Boys and Girls Club or YMCA after school when I have to work (being as most jobs do not get out at 2:30).

If she doesn't like an activity (which I doubt will happen) then we will figure something else out to help her to explore things she wants to do in life.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Only what they want to do. My DD is in dance class 1 night a week for an hr. (7yrs old) and my 15 yr old son does various sports.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My dd is going to be 5 in 2 weeks. She wanted to start taking Karate since she saw her cousin's class and we agreed. Dh was a brown belt when he quit and I knew it was advantageous for her to begin Martial Arts. I was in band, chorus, science club, and a few other things in HS as well as an A student so I know it can be great for a child. However, we will only allow 1 thing at a time for each of our girls. If they decide they want to do something besides the activity they are involved in, they have to wait until the contract expires and then they can being something new.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 12:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My boys are both very involved in activities, football, wrestling, baseball are the top three. They both started wrestling at 4. The reason that we put them into the activity so early is because they wanted too, all their friends were going and my husband wrestled in HS. It never had an impact on education because that was the first expectation. That being said my children are in sports because they want to be, and I encourage them. There are a lot of benefits to outside activities, it allows them to socialize with other children, it helps to promote confidence and self-esteem, it teaches them how to deal with conflict, teaches them how to work hard to achieve their goals, it teaches them sportsmanship that ultimately can teach them how to be humble. They love playing sports and they work hard in school to maintain there ability to participate.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Personally, my daughter is only 2, but I will be encouraging her to participate in different activities as she grows up. I think its good for social interaction, gives her a chance to learn what she likes and doesn't like. Also, its good for the physical activity, confidence, creativity, etc. I want her to be a well rounded person. However, i will not force her to participate in activities that she does not like. There is no major vision with this. I do believe that it will help her become a better person.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• To explore their interests and find what they like or dislike...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010