(S/O income inequality) For those who do think there needs to be a fundamental change in wealth distribution

Have you given much (if any) thought to the repercussions of forcing income distribution to change or the general impact on society in general if you carried out a method of wealth re-distribution? Have those thoughts inlcuded the overall global impact since you cannot dictate world-wide redistribution, only that in the US, which would have multiple consequences on market competitiveness in the global economy? In giving this idea consideration, where in the global market does the US fall 10 years or 50 years after the changes are made?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there are assumptions being made about wealth distribution...

I don't want to take anyone's money. At the same time, there need to be regulations in place to protect "the little guy" . Like NO MORE CORPORATE WELFARE, WALL STREET WELFARE. TAX HEAVILY for shipping jobs overseas...If the company is here, SO ARE THE PLANTS....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Income redistribution...sounds bad. Why would anyone anticipate that happening? I don't. I want there to be more jobs for everyone so we don't have to worry about the issue at all.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Of course it is a bad idea. It already happens in this country, and if it is pushed further, it will force people that want to keep their money, out.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I believe it was said best in the Chronicles of Riddick and I repeat it The Necromonger way is to keep what you kill.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I believe in otherwards you earn you keep it
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't necessarily believe in a "redistribution of wealth" but I don't believe in the rich being able to dictate how much and which taxes they will pay. Just because someone makes a lot of money does not mean they are better than the people who work with their hands and make a hell of a lot less for more actual work. I figured the redistribution was already happening in the form of welfare anyway. Funny how it's only now a big deal. I doubt it will happen the way certain people are so afraid of but the next few years are going to be interesting.
    Anonymous

• So I'll take those answers as a bunch of "no's" then.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yes. the rich will move to countries where they aren't penalized for being prosperous. Then those people and their companies will be helping the wealth of other countries and we will be worse off and the US will fall tremendously. I know that Donald trump has already talked about moving. I don't know why people think the rich would just put up with it. IMO, if someone works hard for what they have and created wealth and know how to distribute their wealth to work best for them, great. I think many people forget that these people create thousands of jobs and give to charity. Why do they need to pay more to support everyone else?
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Of course I disagree with the wealth distribution! We need the upper income earners to HIRE people and PAY TAXES that support the entitlement programs that so many people need. Where is the money going to come from when high income earners and business people decide to quit, retire, and/or move out of the country? You can't force a person to make a lot of money then force them to relinquish it to someone who made poor choices or was satisfied with not being the best they could be!!

If we all only have enough money to get by on, how do we live? Do you have any idea how many tourism industry business and businesses that depend on tourism to generate their own businesses would go under? It would have a domino effect! What do supporters of wealth distribution will think this country will look like a few years after such a stupid idea was implemented?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh, don't worry. The current system supports wealth distribution...away from you, but not to the people you all want to blame for feeding their kids with government money. The wealth is going up from you...but chin up. While the middle class and poor lost wealth over the last couple of years, the 5 million plus club did very well, and the very richest are 10% or so richer than they were before the economy crashed. But keep defending the status quo...I'm sure you'll get your trickle sooner or later.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010